Man dies after being electrocuted while tree-cutting in Limerick
Machinery being used while working came into contract with power lines
Following the fatality the gardaí said “there is nothing suspicious about the incident”. Photograph: The Irish Times
A man has died while cutting trees in Co Limerick.
The Co Kerry native was killed after machinery he was working with came into contact with power lines.
Gardaí said the man was electrocuted.
“He was a member of the Travelling community from Co Kerry. He was cutting trees in a farm in Athea, near Abbeyfeale,” said a Garda spokesman.
“There is nothing suspicious about the incident,” added the Garda.
“It happened around 1pm. The scene was preserved and closed off but it has been cleared now.”
The man’s body has been removed from the scene to University Hospital Limerick for a postmortem.
The Health and Safety Authority have been notified and are conducting an investigation into the fatality.