Chepstow hoping rescheduled meeting can go ahead despite cold snap

Doubts about racing at Clonmel and Musselburgh

Racing at Clonmel is in some doubt. The Irish Horseracing Regulatory Board said: “Due to a status yellow weather warning in place for frost and ice, there will be an 8am precautionary inspection at Clonmel on Thursday ahead of the fixture. Photograph: Getty Images

Racing at Clonmel is in some doubt. The Irish Horseracing Regulatory Board said: “Due to a status yellow weather warning in place for frost and ice, there will be an 8am precautionary inspection at Clonmel on Thursday ahead of the fixture. Photograph: Getty Images

 

Officials at Chepstow are hopeful Saturday’s rescheduled Coral Welsh National meeting will beat freezing temperatures.

Covers have been down since Sunday before the current cold snap kicked in, and clerk of the course Libby O’Flaherty is banking on that proving sufficient with a couple of cold nights to come.

O’Flaherty told Sky Sports Racing on Wednesday afternoon: “We’ve covered the whole track, chase and hurdle.

“The cold weather will start to have a greater influence as it starts getting colder from tonight – we’ve done all we can to keep temperatures above freezing.

“The rain isn’t a worry now, it’s cold. Friday we have wintry showers possible. The forecast for Friday into Saturday gives us hope, along with a good grass covering underneath the fleece so fingers are crossed.

“Monday and Tuesday this week we had 25 guys in putting the covers down, but it is easier to take it off. The plan will be to take them off on Saturday morning.

“The official going is heavy, but it has dried out since the heavy rain on Christmas week. With it being dry I expect it will ride testing.

“Looking at the forecast there is the potential for a precautionary inspection. There are declarations tomorrow so there’ll be an update first thing.”

Not good news

It was not good news at Musselburgh, however, where a precautionary inspection for 8am on race day morning had originally been called ahead of racing on Thursday morning but was brought forward to 4.30pm on Wednesday, with clear skies giving an indication of what was to come.

The meeting at Ffos Las on Thursday needs to survive an inspection at 8.30am with the prospect of the mercury dipping to -7 degrees in Wales.

Racing at Clonmel is also in some doubt, too. The Irish Horseracing Regulatory Board said in a statement: “Due to a status yellow weather warning in place for frost and ice, there will be an 8am precautionary inspection at Clonmel on Thursday ahead of the fixture..

“The ground remains heavy, was fit for racing at 8am this morning and remains fit for racing currently.”

The Irish Times Logo
Commenting on The Irish Times has changed. To comment you must now be an Irish Times subscriber.
SUBSCRIBE
GO BACK
Error Image
The account details entered are not currently associated with an Irish Times subscription. Please subscribe to sign in to comment.
Comment Sign In

Forgot password?
The Irish Times Logo
Thank you
You should receive instructions for resetting your password. When you have reset your password, you can Sign In.
The Irish Times Logo
Please choose a screen name. This name will appear beside any comments you post. Your screen name should follow the standards set out in our community standards.
Screen Name Selection

Hello

Please choose a screen name. This name will appear beside any comments you post. Your screen name should follow the standards set out in our community standards.

The Irish Times Logo
Commenting on The Irish Times has changed. To comment you must now be an Irish Times subscriber.
SUBSCRIBE
Forgot Password
Please enter your email address so we can send you a link to reset your password.

Sign In

Your Comments
We reserve the right to remove any content at any time from this Community, including without limitation if it violates the Community Standards. We ask that you report content that you in good faith believe violates the above rules by clicking the Flag link next to the offending comment or by filling out this form. New comments are only accepted for 3 days from the date of publication.