Intelligence announced as theme for Mary Mulvihill science award 2024

Science media competition for third-level students comes with €2,000 award

The student media competition in honour of science writer Mary Mulvihill for 2024 will be on the theme of intelligence, a topic with a multiplicity of strands ranging from neuroscience to AI.

Entries are sought from students of all disciplines – undergraduate or postgraduate – studying at third-level institutions anywhere on the island of Ireland.

The topic may be addressed in scientific, critical, imaginative or other terms, according to the Mary Mulvihill Association which organises the competition. Entries are welcome in any media format, while entrants are invited to explore the theme of intelligence from any angle.

The award is in honour of the late Mary Mulvihill (1959-2015) and commemorates her work in science journalism, science communication and heritage – she was a regular contributor to The Irish Times. Its theme changes every year, reflecting her broad interests in science and technology and its interrelationships with other aspects of human culture and the natural world. That breadth also applies to how competition participants address the theme.

READ MORE

The closing date is midnight, Tuesday, April 2nd, 2024. For further information see marymulvihillaward.ie

Meanwhile, Ingenious Dublin, an exhibition featuring the many scientific discoveries associated with the city is to open on October 19th and run to January 5th at the Little Museum of Dublin on St Stephen’s Green.

It honours Mulvihill, who was passionate about sharing the wonders of science, celebrates Dublin’s rich scientific heritage and is based on her book, Ingenious Ireland. This exhibition is co-curated by Nigel Monaghan and presented in association with the Mary Mulvihill Association.

Kevin O'Sullivan

Kevin O'Sullivan

Kevin O'Sullivan is Environment and Science Editor and former editor of The Irish Times