London terror attack: The dead, missing and injured
British police confirm that the death toll from Saturday's attack on London Bridge has risen to eight
21-year-old Sara Zelenak from Australia was confirmed dead on Tuesday after becoming separated from friends during the terror attack on Saturday night. Photograph: Facebook
Alexandre Pigeard from France was one of the victims. Photograph: AFP PHOTO / FAMILY HANDOUT
All eight people known to have died in the London terror attack have been named. The Metropolitan Police said all of the 15 victims currently in critical care had been identified.
A Londoner, Canadian, three French citizens and two Australians are among the seven people killed in the terrorist attack on London Bridge and Borough Market, it has been confirmed by their governments.
Ms Boden's family paid tribute to her in a statement on Tuesday.
"Kirsty was loved and adored by her family, friends and boyfriend," they said. "She was the most outgoing, kind and generous person, who loved to help people. Helping people was what she loved to do in her job as a nurse and in her daily life.
"As she ran towards danger, in an effort to help people on the bridge, Kirsty sadly lost her life.
"We are so proud of Kirsty's brave actions which demonstrate how selfless, caring and heroic she was, not only on that night but throughout her life. Kirsty - we love you and we will miss you dearly."
The Canadian victim was named by her family as Christine Archibald from Castlegar, British Columbia. In a statement, they said: “We grieve the loss of our beautiful, loving daughter and sister. She had room in her heart for everyone and believed strongly that every person was to be valued and respected.
“She lived this belief, working in a shelter for the homeless until she moved to Europe to be with her fiance. She would have had no understanding of the callous cruelty that caused her death. Please honour her by making your community a better place. Volunteer your time and labour or donate to a homeless shelter. Tell them Chrissy sent you.”
It also emerged that Archibald was with her fiance, Tyler Ferguson, when she died. His sister, Cassie Ferguson, told CBC News: “He is broken into a million pieces. He held her and watched her die in his arms.”
Canada’s prime minister, Justin Trudeau, said: “I am heartbroken that a Canadian is among those killed. We grieve with the families and friends of those who have lost loved ones, and wish all those injured a speedy and full recovery.
“Londoners and people across the United Kingdom have always displayed strength and resilience in the face of adversity. We recently witnessed this after the attacks in Manchester and in the Westminster area of London. This time will be no different.”
Three French citizens were among those killed in Saturday's attack. French President Emmanuel Macron said: “We are paying a heavy cost in these attacks.”
Brittany news outlet Le Telegramme reported an account from Boro Bistro manager Vincent Le Berre, who told how his colleague, Alexandre Pigeard (27), was attacked by a terrorist in the bar near Borough Market on Saturday night.
“I managed to escape him, but my friend Alexandre did not have that chance. He was hit in the neck with a knife,” he said.
According to French media, Mr Pigeard was from Caen, in Normandy, but had been living in London for more than two years. Normandy news outlet La Manche Libre reported that Frederic Loinard, the mayor of nearby Colleville-Montgomery, where Mr Pigeard has family, confirmed the death to locals on Tuesday.
Xavier Thomas was with his girlfriend Christine Delcros when the attack occured. The French couple, who were visiting London for the weekend, were walking south over London Bridge around the time the attack started, according to police.
Ms Delcros was seriously injured when she was struck by the van, while witnesses accounts suggest Mr Thomas was thrown into the River Thames by the impact, Scotland Yard said. Police have now recovered a body from the River Thames which is believed to be Mr Thomas. The body was recovered near Limehouse, downstream from London Bridge, at around 7.45pm on Tuesday by specialist officers from the marine police unit.
Sébastien Bélanger was reported missing by his girlfriend Gerda Bennet in a series of online posts. Bennett, a bartender at the Hoxton Seven, said her boyfriend had been at London Bridge with friends on Saturday night and had not been seen since.
Appealing for information, she said she had called his number repeatedly but had heard no news. “My heart is broken and I wish no-one in this world could feel what I feel now,” she wrote.
The talented chef was on Wednesday confirmed among the dead, after the bar he was drinking in came under attack. The 36-year-old was identified as one of the dead by his mother and brother on Wednesday, his aunt told to the BBC.
He had spent Saturday night watching the Champions League final with friends and was in the Boro Bistro near Borough Market when the three terrorists stormed the area. While two of his companions escaped unharmed, the whereabouts of Mr Belanger remained unknown for several days.
He arrived in the UK seven years ago, having moved from his native Angers, western France, and reportedly worked in the Coq d’Argent restaurant in central
London. By Wednesday morning, his Facebook profile had been turned into a memorial page.
Spanish banker Ignacio Echeverria, 39, was reported missing after he was last seen in the area of Borough Market defending a woman with his skateboard.
His family confirmed his death, although they said it had not been made official by police.
His father, Joaquin Echeverria, said British authorities had not shared any information with them, but his son’s employer, HSBC, had provided the services of a private detective to help with their search.
On Wednesday, journalist and relative Isabel Duran wrote on Twitter: “ Ignacio Echeverria attacked the terrorists to try to save a woman. He is in heaven with his inseparable skateboard.”
21-year-old Sara Zelenak from Australia was confirmed dead on Tuesday after becoming separated from friends during the terror attack on Saturday night. Her family were bracing for the worst, and the government expressed serious concerns about her safety.
Her aunt Tara spoke to media outside the family's home in Ormiston, southeast Queensland saying the family was "emotionally distraught". She broke down as she described her "absolutely beautiful" niece.
"She's the girl next door, she's a very special, kindred spirit," she said. "She's one of those girls that doesn't drink, doesn't do drugs, doesn't do anything wrong. She's amazing and she's 21 years of age."
Australian prime minister, Malcolm Turnbull, said on Wednesday the government had been in touch with the families of both Boden and Zelenak.
"We have been very assiduous in working with the families and taking care to respect their privacy. Now, the British authorities have not yet formally advised the - the coroner has not yet formally advised of the deaths of either of those young women and their families are either in the UK now or on their way there."
Turnbull described the two deaths as heartbreaking and a "terrible loss".
James McMullan (32), from Hackney has also been confirmed dead. He had not been seen since stepping out of the Barrowboy and Banker pub on Borough High Street for a cigarette five minutes before the attackers crashed their van directly outside.
His sister Melissa had posted an appeal for information about her “amazing and incredibly talented big brother” on social media. She told Southwark News he had been meeting up with school friends and had not been home or in contact since the attack. Friends had checked hospitals without success.
Among the 48 injured were four police officers, including a British Transport Police (BTP) officer who confronted the terrorists with nothing more than a baton. Theresa May said many of the wounded sustained life-threatening injuries, while the NHS said at least 21 people were in a critical condition.
BTP chief constable, Paul Crowther, said he had visited his colleague in hospital and said he “showed enormous courage in the face of danger, as did many others who were at the scene and rushed to help”.
“Although he is seriously unwell, he was able to recount how he faced the attackers armed only with his baton, outside London Bridge station. For an officer who only joined us less than two years ago, the bravery he showed was outstanding and makes me extremely proud.”
One of the Metropolitan police officers, a rugby player who was based in Southwark, was off duty and having a drink with friends. He was stabbed tackling one of the three attackers and is in a serious condition. The Met police commissioner, Cressida Dick, said: “My understanding is that, without hesitation, wearing his normal clothes, he dived in and tried to assist, and he I’m afraid was himself severely injured, but utterly heroic.”
A further two Met officers were hurt while on duty, one a plain clothes officer who received stitches to a head injury, and a uniformed officer who received an injury to his arm.
Man hit by police bullet
Mark Rowley, the Met police assistant commissioner, said a member of the public was shot as officers tried to neutralise the terrorists with an “unprecedented” level of gunfire. Speaking at a press conference, Rowley said the individual was being treated in hospital but he was not in a critical condition.
He said eight armed officers discharged about 50 bullets as they tried to stop the three knife-wielding attackers on Saturday night.
Dr Malik Ramadhan, a senior doctor at the Royal London hospital, told The Guardian the man was shot in the head but was expected to make a full recovery. “We had one gunshot wound. There’s a patient in this hospital who’s been shot in the head; a man. He’s absolutely not dying. Our expectation is that he will make a full recovery,” said Ramadhan, the divisional director for trauma at the hospital.
Daniel O’Neill (23)
The mother of one of the victims, 23-year-old Daniel O’Neill, has told of her son’s experiences. “He just stepped outside the bar for a second and a man ran up to him and said ‘This is for my family, this is for Islam’, and stuck a knife straight in him. He’s got a 7in scar going from his belly round to his back,” Elizabeth O’Neill told reporters outside King’s College hospital.
“The man ran away, Daniel headed back into the pub, there were shots fired, everybody was told to lie down, and then they were told to go downstairs in the bar. At this stage, Daniel’s friend had put a tourniquet on him and was holding pressure there. He was brought downstairs - parts of that he doesn’t remember - and then the police were there and brought him in their car to the hospital.”
O’Neill said her son could talk but was in shock. “These people say they are doing this in the name of God, which is an absolute joke. They are callous, they are barbaric and they are absolute cowards. We will carry on as normal,” she said.
London hospitals, including King’s College hospital, the Royal London and St Thomas’s confirmed they were among those treating the dozens of injured, though a number had now been discharged.
Geoff Ho, a Sunday Express journalist, was taken to intensive care after being stabbed in the throat when he tried to help a wounded bouncer. He was filmed being led away from the scene by a policeman, clutching his neck and with his shirt off.
According to the Mirror, he wrote on Facebook: “Don’t know whether it was stupid or noble to jump in and break up the fight outside the Southwark Tavern, but two a***s trying to do over the lone bouncer on the door isn’t happening on my watch.”
His friend Isabelle Oderberg tweeted: “We have found Geoff. He is in intensive care.” She told the Melbourne newspaper the Age: “He is actually a martial artist and I wouldn’t be surprised if he would have stood up and been counted because he’s just that type of person.”
Brett Freeman, from Dagenham, east London, was stabbed four times according to friend Darren Mole. Mole posted a picture of Freeman in his hospital bed.
Candice Hedge (31)
Kim del Toro, the mother of Candice Hedge from Australia who was named as one of those hurt in the attack, told Fairfax Media that her daughter had received emergency surgery at St Thomas’s hospital, but “she is going to be fine, thank goodness”.
The Brisbane Courier Mail said Hedge had finished her waiting shift at Elliot’s restaurant and was having a drink at the bar when a man came up behind her, grabbed her head and slashed at her throat.
Del Toro said Hedge had been at the bar with her boyfriend, Luke, when “he heard some commotion out the front and went out to see what was going on”.
“He saw some men with knives coming toward them, and he ran back inside to see where Candice was.”
She said he had been unable to find her, and the police had yelled for everyone to stay down. He had then seen his girlfriend running towards him, holding her bleeding neck.
Del Toro said her daughter had been able to make a Skype call on Sunday morning. “She couldn’t speak, but I got to see her and she gave me the thumbs up, so I knew that she was OK.”
Hedge also posted on Facebook to reassure friends, the Sydney Morning Herald reported. She wrote: “I’m doing OK. Still in hospital, but all in the clear. I really can’t talk. The f----- stabbed me in the neck. Don’t worry too much. I love you all.”
The Australian foreign minister, Julie Bishop, said on Monday the government believed three Australians had been caught up in the attacks.
In a video posted on Reddit, Morrison, from Darwin, Australia, who had a blood-stained cloth wrapped around his neck, said he had been stabbed after leaving Belushi’s bar in London Bridge where he had been watching the Champions League final.
“All of a sudden this guy comes up with a knife … I push him off. I walk into a pub and say, ‘Someone help me, I’ve been stabbed,’” he said on the video.
Morrison’s sister Katrina told the NT News the family was just happy he was safe. “Yes, my brother was involved,” she said. “We’re currently sorting out his flight home.”
Oliver Dowling and Marie Bondeville
Oliver Dowling (32), from Christchurch, New Zealand, was recovering from four hours of surgery after being stabbed in the face, neck and stomach.
According to the New Zealand Herald, his sister Freddy posted on Facebook: “Doctors are very happy with how he’s come out the other side. A massive thank to the University of London Hospital for their tireless efforts in helping my brother out!!”
Mr Dowling’s girlfriend, Marie Bondeville, was also injured, she wrote, adding: “Marie has been in surgery at another hospital but unfortunately we haven’t been able to find out how she is due to not being immediate family.”
A spokesman for Spain’s foreign ministry told the Associated Press that a Spanish man had been treated in hospital for wounds described as not serious.
Two German nationals were among the injured, according to Germany’s interior ministry.
Greek national Antonis Filis, who works in London, is recovering in hospital after being stabbed in the kidney. Greece’s state news agency said Filis, who also sustained head injuries, had been with his girlfriend in Borough Market. “We are in open contact with doctors and they say he is out of danger,” his father, Giorgos, was quoted as saying. The 35-year-old has been identified as the grandson of a former mayor of Lamia, in central Greece.
Six women and eight men were taken to King’s College hospital in south London and one patient had since been discharged, a spokesman said. The Royal London hospital in east London was continuing to treat 12 people, Barts Health NHS trust said.
A spokeswoman for Guy’s and St Thomas’s NHS foundation trust said it had treated nine patients at St Thomas’s - six men and three women. Five had since been discharged and four - two men and two women - had been admitted.
A rest centre was set up London South Bank University where volunteers from the British Red Cross were helping those affected, Southwark council said.
The British Red Cross said: “Six volunteers are on hand to provide practical and emotional support to any residents displaced following last night’s attack.”