Daniel O’Donnell to take part in ‘Strictly Come Dancing’
'It’s exciting and quite an honour to be asked ... I don’t know if I’m as good as I need to be'
Irish singer Daniel O’Donnell is the latest celebrity contestant revealed to be taking part in this year’s Strictly Come Dancing. Photograph: Getty
Irish singer Daniel O’Donnell is the latest celebrity contestant revealed to be taking part in this year’s Strictly Come Dancing.
The 53-year-old crooner confirmed the news on Thursday evening. O’Donnell said: “It’s exciting and quite an honour to be asked, because there’s so many people that could be asked.
“I don’t know if I’m as good as I need to be but I’m going to try. There’s a lot of rehearsals and physical work which I’m not used to. I can dance but don’t ask me to be in a certain place at a certain time, this is going to be very hard for me. God help whoever gets me!”
O’Donnell has had a string of hit albums in both the UK and the US since the mid-90s and has a very loyal fan base which mainly consists of ladies of a certain age. He revealed he is a huge fan of the show and has been asked to take part in the Christmas special several times, but has always been too busy touring.
O’Donnell told how his wife recently battled cancer and he consulted her about whether he should sign up to the show because it is a big time commitment.
He revealed: “She said, ‘You can have time off any time, don’t miss this.”’
So far seven other celebrities have been confirmed – singer and reality star Peter Andre, BBC weather presenter Carol Kirkwood, celebrity chef Ainsley Harriott, broadcaster Jeremy Vine, former Coronation Street star Georgia May Foote, EastEnders actress Kellie Bright and newsreader Katie Derham.
Hold My Hand singer Jess Glynne has announced she will be performing on the launch show.
She tweeted: “So excited to tell you guys! I’ll be performing on the opening show of bbc strictly!!! I CAN’T WAIT!!”
The 13th series of Strictly Come Dancing begins on BBC One in September.