Monaco suspend Thierry Henry as manager after dismal spell

With club second from bottom in Ligue 1 they are taking a decision on Henry’s future

AS Monaco coach Thierry Henry has been suspended after a dismal run of results since he took the job. Photo: Eric Gaillard/Reuters

AS Monaco coach Thierry Henry has been suspended after a dismal run of results since he took the job. Photo: Eric Gaillard/Reuters

 

Thierry Henry has been suspended from his role as Monaco manager just after three months after his appointment at the Ligue 1 club. Monaco have won only two league games under Henry and sit 19th in the French top flight. They said a final decision on his future was pending and that Franck Passi, who arrived last month to provide experienced assistance for Henry, will oversee Friday’s training session.

It has been a troubled spell in charge for Henry, who walked into a relegation battle when he replaced Leonardo Jardim on October 13th. At that point they were 18th in Ligue 1 but their fortunes have not improved during a 104-day, 20-match stint and his frustrations rose to the surface in the buildup to Saturday’s crucial game against Dijon, who sit one place above them.

Henry said his team were “going to war” in their effort to arrest a five-game winless run in the league and suggested an attitude problem within the squad. “We need guys who want to save the club, who don’t think about themselves,” he said. Asked who would be left out at Dijon, he replied: “You will see. There are too many names.”

Monaco had shown signs of life after Christmas, a penalty shoot-out win over Rennes in the league cup preceding draws at Marseille and at home to Patrick Vieira’s Nice on January 16th. After the latter, Henry observed that Monaco – who have suffered through big-name departures and a lengthy injury list – were beginning to play the way he wanted. Henry’s former Arsenal team-mate, Cesc Fàbregas, was tempted to join from Chelsea and the outlook appeared brighter.

But they took another step backwards with a 5-1 home defeat to Strasbourg last Saturday, playing 83 minutes with 10 men, and were then defeated 3-1 at Stade Louis II by Ligue 2 side Metz in the French Cup on Tuesday. That appears to have pressed Monaco into action, with reports suggesting Jardim could make an unlikely return should Henry’s exit be confirmed. – Guardian service

The Irish Times Logo
Commenting on The Irish Times has changed. To comment you must now be an Irish Times subscriber.
SUBSCRIBE
GO BACK
Error Image
The account details entered are not currently associated with an Irish Times subscription. Please subscribe to sign in to comment.
Comment Sign In

Forgot password?
The Irish Times Logo
Thank you
You should receive instructions for resetting your password. When you have reset your password, you can Sign In.
The Irish Times Logo
Please choose a screen name. This name will appear beside any comments you post. Your screen name should follow the standards set out in our community standards.
Screen Name Selection

Hello

Please choose a screen name. This name will appear beside any comments you post. Your screen name should follow the standards set out in our community standards.

The Irish Times Logo
Commenting on The Irish Times has changed. To comment you must now be an Irish Times subscriber.
SUBSCRIBE
Forgot Password
Please enter your email address so we can send you a link to reset your password.

Sign In

Your Comments
We reserve the right to remove any content at any time from this Community, including without limitation if it violates the Community Standards. We ask that you report content that you in good faith believe violates the above rules by clicking the Flag link next to the offending comment or by filling out this form. New comments are only accepted for 3 days from the date of publication.