FA Cup: Manchester City rout pitiful West Ham United

Slaven Bilic’s side concede five on another miserable night at the London Stadium

West Ham United 0 Manchester City 5

It was cold, wet and horrible – the kind of night to make a continental manager pine for those winter breaks. There have been plenty of pictures doing the rounds in recent days of European players reclining on loungers in expensive-looking locations. Pep Guardiola’s pleasure was a first taste of football’s oldest competition.

It all turned out rather nicely. The spotlight had burned intensely on the Manchester City manager, a result of a few sketchy results in December and his tetchiness after his team’s home win over Burnley on Monday. He had given the impression of being a little embattled with this English football lark. The vultures were circling.

His City team gave a powerhouse performance, shaped by a virtuoso display from David Silva, the floating midfield sprite, and marked by ruthlessness. It was an occasion when everything went right for his team. Take the fourth goal. Yaya Touré sliced his shot following Raheem Sterling's pass back to him but it flew perfectly into Sergio Agüero's space and he touched home deftly.


The game had turned on a soft 33rd minute penalty, awarded after Pablo Zabaleta drew contact from Angelo Ogbonna. Touré rifled it past Adrián. But City had been the better team up until that point and they cut loose thereafter.

Raheem Sterling pressured Havard Nordtveit into putting through his own goal and Silva ended the game as a contest with the third before half-time. He practically had a cigar out before he placed his shot past Adrián.

Slaven Bilic, the West Ham manager, was still smouldering after the 2-0 loss to Manchester United here on Monday, when Sofiane Feghouli had been wrongly sent off in the 15th minute. The card would be rescinded but it was too little, too late. "I still feel angry and disappointed," Bilic said, earlier in the day.

He could express his exasperation over the penalty award but this was a night when West Ham were outclassed by a strong Guardiola selection. Bilic used Dimitri Payet only as a 57th minute substitute and the winger managed to nutmeg Agüero. But there was precious little else for West Ham to remember. Feghouli blew their only clear chance at 1-0 down and it was a terrible miss from close range.

Guardiola’s line-ups are routinely difficult to classify, such is the movement of his players and the manner in which they interchange positions, and nobody is harder to pin down than Silva.

His licence to roam was pronounced and, as he glided into dangerous areas, so, too, was his threat. There was one lovely cutback in the early running for Zabaleta, who offered a passable impression of a box-to-box midfielder, and his shot was blocked by Winston Reid while, from a Gaël Clichy pass, Silva worked Adrián.

It remains a curious experience watching football in this vast bowl.

There were moments here when the noise levels rose sharply but many more when it all seemed to drift away on the breeze. Guardiola and Bilic stood alone in their massive technical areas, which appear tailor-made for a bit of five-a-side.

City had further advertised the opening goal through Sterling and Agüero. The first chance was created by Silva only for Sterling to choose the wrong option in jinking inside Nordtveit; Reid nipped back to tackle. Agüero’s effort was a beautifully sculpted side-on volley, after Michail Antonio’s ropey clearance. Adrián tipped over.

It took the penalty to break the deadlock and it was a depressing moment for West Ham and the centre-half, Ogbonna. Everybody inside the stadium knew that Zabaleta was going to take a touch following Silva’s cute pass and then see if there was any contract to be had inside the area. Thanks to Ogbonna, there was.

Did Zabaleta initiate it? Possibly. Yet it was there and the referee, Michael Oliver, was entitled to point to the spot. From West Ham's point of view, it just felt so soft and needless. Touré blasted the kick low into Adrián's bottom right-hand corner.

West Ham had their flashes in front of goal during the first half and the clearest one came immediately after the penalty. Antonio bustled through and his shot was pushed out by Willy Caballero but only as far as Feghouli, who was playing after his harsh red card against Manchester United from Monday had been rescinded.

He looked odds-on to score but when Clichy dived into a saving challenge, he managed to distract him and Feghouli shot badly wide. Antonio had also worked Caballero on 14 minutes.

City summoned a devastating one-two punch. First, Bacary Sagna ran on to Agüero’s ball forward and put a devilish delivery into the area towards Sterling.

Nordtveit was in that unenviable position for a defender. He could not leave it; he had to do something. The right-back stretched out his right leg but he succeeded only in diverting it into his own goal. Minutes later, it was 3-0. Sterling swapped passes with Agüero and bombed away and, when he looked across, he had Silva completely unmarked in the centre. Silva had the time and composure to take a touch following Sterling’s low cross and, with Adrián grounded, impudently rolled the ball past him.

Guardiola could afford to remove Silva on 57 minutes, and Kevin De Bruyne and Touré after that, and the last word went to John Stones.

From the substitute Nolito's corner, he flashed home a header that goal-line technology showed had crossed the line before another substitute, Mark Noble, could make his attempted clearance. It was Stones's first goal for City.

(Guardian service)