McGregor’s defence his weak spot – Steve Collins Jnr
Professional light-heavyweight sparred with MMA champion in Dublin gym
Conor McGregor performs a workout in front of the media in preparation for the fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr in Las Vegas. Photograph: John Locher/AP
Conor McGregor should rely on the skills that have made him a two-weight UFC champ and not try to outbox unbeaten American Floyd Mayweather when the two clash in Las Vegas on Saturday, former sparring partner Steve Collins Jnr says.
The mixed martial arts fighter turned up at the Dublin gym run by Collins Jnr’s uncle, Paschal, about two years ago looking to hone his boxing skills, and the 27-year-old light heavyweight was happy to go toe to toe with him.
“I arrived early as my uncle told me to come in to do some pad work before the place opened and Conor came up. He must have cleared it with my uncle as he had the place to himself, he had the gym closed off,” said Collins.
“He started off sparring a guy for a round or two but the guy couldn’t keep up with Conor’s pace, so my uncle asked me if I’d spar him. I said fine, and got in there for five, six, seven rounds,” he explained.
“Conor didn’t care about the size difference between us, he just kept going. He barely took a break in between rounds, he’d just take a sip of water or whatever.”
Collins Jnr, who has 10 wins, one loss and one draw in his 12 professional fights, was impressed by the offensive skills of the 29-year-old McGregor, who has never fought as a pro boxer.
“As an MMA fighter his boxing skills were brilliant – great stance, great balance, great shot selection and timing, he judged distance very well, superior to most MMA fighters.”
However, the boxer did find chinks in the armour of the UFC lightweight champion.
“His only weakness really was his defence. I didn’t find it too hard to land leather on him, and if you’ve got a guy like Floyd, he may find it even easier. If I had to pick one thing, it was that his defence wasn’t brilliant,” he said.
The boxing world has scoffed at the notion that McGregor can bring himself up to Mayweather’s level in the space of a few weeks, but Collins Jnr says he may not have to.
“I think he’ll have to rely on what he already knows. There is so much to learn in boxing, even Mayweather is still learning, so Conor has to work with what he has. It takes years to be a complete fighter, and it will all be new to him on the day,” he said.
Mayweather, who has not fought in nearly two years, needs a win to surpass Rocky Marciano’s record and reach 50-0 for his career, while McGregor, who is making his professional boxing debut, is 21-3 in mixed martial arts. Currently in training for a fight in Belfast in September, Collins Jnr says he will watch the fight but he won’t travel to Las Vegas or stay up into the small hours to do so.
“If I was on Mayweather or McGregor money I’d go to Vegas, but I’m not! I’m in training so I can’t afford to stay up all night, but we’re going to record it and watch it together at the gym the next morning,” he said, adding that he expected an exciting fight.
“Things Conor never expected are going to happen to him in the ring, and how he reacts to that will say a lot about him.”
Meanwhile, Australian world champion Jeff Horn has given McGregor little chance of beating Mayweather and hopes the American will “annihilate” the mixed martial arts fighter for the sake of boxing.
Horn, who became WBO welterweight champion by beating 38-year-old Manny Pacquiao in Brisbane last month, said McGregor would struggle to even land a punch on the undefeated American.
“I hope Mayweather annihilates him and I think he will,” Horn said. “It will be dreadful for the sport of boxing if Mayweather, one of the greatest fighters of all time, gets rolled by a guy having his first fight but I can’t see McGregor doing too well even with all the hype.
“Their fight is going to be under boxing rules and Mayweather will probably not even get hit. If McGregor’s got any sense he’ll crash tackle Floyd at the opening bell and put a choke hold on him, get disqualified and then they’ll have a rematch and make even more money.”
Saturday’s fight is tipped to test the pay-per-view and revenue records set by the Mayweather-Pacquiao bout in 2015. Mayweather’s defeat of the Filipino generated over $400 million from 4.6 million pay-per-views.
After Horn’s own win over Pacquiao, the Australian immediately laid down a challenge to Mayweather, holding up a walking stick to bait the 40-year-old.
Former schoolteacher Horn is set for a rematch against Pacquiao in Brisbane later in the year but said he would “love a crack” at Mayweather.
“He could challenge me for the world welterweight title. And if McGregor wanted to fight me I’d take it right now. I wouldn’t be worried one bit,” said the 29-year-old.
Horn added that he would fight Mayweather like Marcos Maidana, who pushed the American in two defeats in 2014.
“A few years ago we saw Marcos Maidana from Argentina give Floyd the fight of his life but Maidana didn’t have the engine to sustain it for 12 rounds,” said Horn. “I’d fight Mayweather like Maidana did but I’d do it for 12 rounds, not six.”