Paul Ryan’s accuracy gives Dublin the edge over Wexford

Freetaker hits 1-7 as Anthony Daly’s men prevail by a single point in Gorey

Paul Ryan: contributed 1-7 from frees for Dublin against Wexford at Gorey. Photo: Donall Farmer/Inpho

Paul Ryan: contributed 1-7 from frees for Dublin against Wexford at Gorey. Photo: Donall Farmer/Inpho


Dublin 1-15 Wexford 1-14

Dublin’s ability to fashion results was once again evident as they came from four points adrift at the interval to edge their way to a single-point victory over an impressive Wexford in this exciting Walsh Cup hurling semi-final at Páirc Uí Síocháin, Gorey, yesterday.

Anthony Daly’s side scored 1-5 in the second half, while the home side could only manage a meagre three points into the wind. That factor that came back to haunt Wexford , particularly when a Paul Ryan pointed free put the holders two points clear one minute from end, leaving Rhys Clarke late pointed free of little significance for the Model County men.

“We have 40 players in the squad. This was an opportunity to give many of those players a run, for we rested John McCaffrey and Steve Hiney, while other were college-tied. We got the momentum in the second half, with Conal Keaney having a big 15-minute spell which swung the game our way,” said coach Anthony Daly.

Big game
“Look we have no right to have the momentum right through, we have to create it. Wexford had the momentum in the first half but the victory gives us another big game next week.

“With the league just three weeks away that is important. It was not a great day for hurling, but credit to the local club for having the pitch in such condition. It’s a win and we know there’s other big games with Wexford ahead of us.”

Wexford had an impressive opening 35 minutes with a number of the younger players showing up well which pleased their manager Liam Dunne.

“Yes, we played well in the first half, but still gave away some scores, being slow to get the ball out of defence. We conceded ten points to them in that period which was way too much given the strength of the wind.

“While we lost in the end, we’re quite happy with the display. The sending off of Richie Kehoe after 57 minutes on a second yellow with the sides still level probably influenced the result. In the end we lost but we now look forward to the league.”

Ideal start
Wexford had the ideal start with a Rhys Clarke fourth minute goal, after Gary Maguire had saved his initial effort, but one minute later Dublin opened their account through a Mark Schutte point, followed by a fine point from Ryan O’Dwyer. With Ian Byrne pointing the way for the home side, points from Eamonn Dillon, Ryan and Robbie Mahon kept Dublin in touch, as Paul Morris and Shane Tomkins had points in between for the home side, leaving them leading 1-6 to 0-5 after 18 minutes.

Both sides were picking off some delightful long-range points as Diarmuid O’Keeffe struck over two great efforts for Wexford, while Paul Ryan continued to punish indiscretions in the home defence. But still the home side led 1-11 to 0-10 at the interval.

During the opening 15 minutes on the resumption Conal Keaney began to influence the pattern of the game, striking over two superb long-range points, before a Paul Ryan shot from a 21-metre free crept over the line having been half blocked by defender James Tonks.

That proved enough to give the visitors a two-point lead as the game entered the closing 20 minutes.

Superb long-range points from Gary Moore and Paul Morris had the sides back level, but it was two pointed Paul Ryan frees that gave the Dubs the edge going into the closing minutes. Although Wexford pressed strongly they could only manage a late Rhys Clarke pointed free which proved too late to affect the result.
DUBLIN: G Maguire; C O’Callaghan, P Kelly, J Doughan; J Boland, C McCormack, M McCaffrey; S Durkin, M Quilty; R Mahon (0-1), R O’Dwyer (0-2), C Keaney (0-2); M Schutte (0-1), P Ryan (1-7 frees), E Dillon (0-2). Subs: C Crummy for McCaffrey (ht); C Cronin for Mahon (54); P Winters for Schutte (65).
WEXFORD: M Fanning; J Tonks, K Rossiter, C Kenny; A Shore (0-1), L Chin, R Kehoe; B Jordan, D O’Keeffe (0-2); S Tomkins (0-1), P Morris (0-2), I Byrne (0-6, 5f); G Moore (0-1), R Clarke (1-1, 0-1 free), K Foley. Subs: H Kehoe for Jordan (ht); C O’Shaughnessy for Tonks (53); R Jacob for Foley (57); C Devitt for Byrne (61). Referee: J Keenan (Wicklow).