Eoin Lowry’s goal crucial as UCD prevail over UCC

Dublin students finish stronger to book place at Sigerson Cup finals weekend

UCD 3-11 UCC 1-9

UCD The record winners of the Sigerson Cup, UCD, ensured that they will be in next week's finals weekend in Jordanstown with victory over UCC at the Mardyke yesterday.

John Divilly's side surged clear of last year's runners-up in the fourth quarter, with their sceond goal, from Eoin Lowry in the 41st minute, the crucial score.


Before he profited from Conor McCarthy’s surging run through the UCC cover, the hosts had kicked five of six points since half-time, with Conor Cox notching four.

That had brought them to within a point after trailing by five at half-time, 1-8 to 1-3. However, they only scored once more after Lowry's strike, with points from John Heslin and Niall Kelly pushing UCD clear before McCarthy got a third goal near the end.

With UCC goalkeeper Micheal Martin having saved from UCD's star turn Paul Mannion, the ball fell to the unmarked McCarthy on the line and he had an easy task.

There was an element of fortune to UCD’s first goal, coming with the side’s tied at 0-2 each. when Lowry’s 45 fell short, the ball slipped from the grasp of UCC’s Gary O’Sullivan and then Martin couldn’t claim it either, allowing it to go between his legs.

Points from McCarthy and James McEntee put them five clear but Luke Connolly’s penalty had UCC back in touch. UCD came strongly again as half-time approached and ultimately had the goalscoring capability when needed.

UCD: E Keogh; M Fitzsimons, S O'Dea, R Wylie; D Hyland, D Byrne, J McCaffrey (0-1); B O'Sullivan, D Murphy (0-1); C McCarthy (1-1), J Heslin (0-3, two frees), J McEntee (0-1); E Lowry (1-0), P Mannion (0-2, one free), N Kelly (0-2). Subs: J Barry for O'Sullivan (half-time, injured), C Mullally for Murphy (33 mins, injured), T Hayes for Lowry (50 mins), T Moolick for McCarthy (56 mins), P Kingston for Mannion (60 mins). (1-0: own goal).

UCC: M Martin; J Davis, J McGuire, K Fulignati; K Crowley, B O'Driscoll, J Walsh; G O'Sullivan, I Maguire; S Kiely, L Connolly (1-1, 1-0 pen), K Davis (0-1); J Kiely, C Cox (0-6, four frees), D Harrington (0-1). Subs: C Hyde for O'Sullivan (half-time), C Horgan for Kiely (46 mins), S Cronin for Hyde (48 mins), S White for Crowley (50 mins), J Horgan for Davis (53 mins).

Referee: B Kelly (Clare).