Everton to contest Oumar Niasse’s charge for diving
Niasse was charged for ‘successful deception of a match official’ in draw with Palace
Everton’s Oumar Niasse was charged with diving after their draw against Crystal Palace. Photo: Steve Paston/PA Wire
Everton are to contest striker Oumar Niasse’s diving charge.
The Senegalese became the first high-profile player to be charged with simulation by the Football Association after he won a controversial spot-kick in Saturday’s Premier League draw at Crystal Palace.
However, Everton are unhappy with the accusation levelled at their player and will be appealing against the FA’s charge.
Leighton Baines tucked away the resulting penalty to cancel out James McArthur’s early opener for the hosts.
Dann said after the game that Niasse, who drew Everton level for a second time with an equaliser on the stroke of half-time, had “conned the referee” and on Tuesday the FA announced the player had been charged.
“Everton’s Oumar Niasse has been charged for ‘successful deception of a match official’ following the game against Crystal Palace on 18 November 2017,” said a statement.
Niasse could become the first Premier League player to be hit with a retrospective ban for diving following the introduction of the new law at the start of the season.
But the 27-year-old will only be handed a two-match suspension if the panel which convenes to oversee his case unanimously reject Niasse’s arguments that he was guilty of the offence.
“It is alleged he committed an act of simulation which led to a penalty being awarded in the fifth minute of the game,” the FA statement continued.
“He has until 6pm on 21 November 2017 to respond.
“Incidents which suggest a match official has been deceived by an act of simulation are referred to a panel consisting of one ex-match official, one ex-manager and one ex-player.
“Each panel member will be asked to review all available video footage independently of one another to determine whether they consider it was an offence of ‘successful deception of a match official’.
“Only in circumstances where the panel are unanimous would the FA issue a charge.”
Niasse defended himself following the incident and told the Liverpool Echo he would be “shocked” to be charged — although he does now have a case to answer.
The forward was out of favour at the start of the campaign but, with the Toffees struggling for results, he has now scored five goals in seven league appearances this season.