Conor McGregor apologises after altercation during MMA event
‘I must hold myself to a higher standard’ says McGregor
Conor McGregor was involved in an altercation with officials in the octagon at the Bellator 187 event at the 3Arena. Photograph: Gary Carr/Inpho
Two-weight UFC champion Conor McGregor has apologised after being involved in an angry altercation with a referee at an MMA event in Dublin.
McGregor was in attendance at the Bellator 187 event at the 3Arena on Friday night to watch his team-mate Charlie Ward take on John Redmond. Moments after Ward had produced a first-round knockout to beat Redmond, McGregor leapt into the octagon to celebrate with him.
Referee Mark Goddard took exception to McGregor’s actions and ordered him out of the octagon, sparking a melee by pushing him away.
That angered McGregor and the Irishman retaliated, running after Goddard and shouting and pointing at him before he was escorted out.
On Tuesday, McGregor – who was beaten by Floyd Mayweather in a boxing match during August – vowed to learn from his mistakes when posting the apology on his social media accounts.
“I sincerely apologise for my behaviour at last weekends fight event in Dublin. While trying to support a loyal teammate and friend, I let my emotions get the best of me and acted out of line,” said McGregor, who has not fought in the UFC since stopping Eddie Alvarez to capture the 155lb crown in November last year.
“As a multiple weight UFC champion, executive producer, role model and public figure, I must hold myself to a higher standard.”
McGregor went on to say his reason for entering the octagon was the fear that Goddard would let the fight continue into a second round.
“After witnessing my fighter in a fight where the worst happened and the opponent passed away from his injuries on the night, I thought the worst was about to happen again, and I lost it and over reacted. I am sorry to everyone.
“I’ve always learned from my mistakes and this will be no different.”