Cyclone Debbie destroys homes leaving 60,000 without power

No reports of deaths from storm which battered north Queensland, Australia

A satellite captures footage revealing the full scale of Cyclone Debbie from space. The powerful storm caused widespread damage in the Australian state of Queensland on March 28th, with winds stronger than 260km/h. Video: NOAA/NASA


Residents of Australia’s cyclone-battered tropical north east have emerged from their homes to find roofs lying in their yards, boats flung on to rocks and roads blocked by tangles of fallen trees and power lines.

Emergency officials are trying to reach communities cut off after Cyclone Debbie slammed into the coast of Queensland on Tuesday with winds up to 160mph.

The storm weakened quickly as it moved inland and was downgraded to a tropical low by Wednesday morning.

Australia’s military sent vehicles, aircraft and supplies to the region, and clean-up efforts are beginning.

Around 60,000 houses were without power, and several communities remained isolated with no access to communications. Emergency workers were trying to reach those areas to ensure residents were safe, Queensland Police Commissioner Ian Stewart said.

Prime minister Malcolm Turnbull told reporters: “Nature has flung her worst at the people of north Queensland. It is now our job to make sure that every agency pulls together ... to provide support to the people of north Queensland who have had a very tough day and night.”

There were no reports of deaths from the storm. One man was injured after a wall collapsed in the town of Proserpine, Mr Stewart said. He was in stable condition.

Proserpine was one of the worst-hit areas, along with the resort town of Airlie Beach and the town of Bowen.

There was also serious damage to resorts on the idyllic Whitsunday Islands, a popular tourist destination, Queensland premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said. Around 200 people holidaying on Daydream Island were awaiting evacuation, and water supplies were running low.

“There would be nothing more tragic than waking up and seeing walls that have come in from your houses, roofs that have gone off, and debris that is lying across your roads,” Ms Palaszczuk told reporters.

At the port of Shute Harbour, six miles east of Airlie Beach, the storm tossed around 30 vessels on to the rocks, Whitsunday’s regional council mayor Andrew Willcox said.

Queensland Fire and Rescue Service Commissioner Katarina Carroll said the state emergency services department had received 800 calls for help, and that number is expected to rise as power comes back on in communities.

The area produces sugarcane and a wide range of fruits and vegetables, including mangoes and peppers, and farmers are beginning to check on damage to their crops.