No charges over removed foetuses
Investigations are continuing into the removal of seven miscarried foetuses in the Coombe Hospital mortuary on Thursday, according to the Garda.
The foetuses were originally thought to have been stolen but were later found concealed in the mortuary. There was no sign of a break-in. A Garda spokeswoman said the investigation was "ongoing" and nobody had been charged with the incident. She would not confirm reports that the person responsible had a grudge against the hospital and may be ill. Hospital staff are being interviewed and a list of those who had ac cess to the mortuary in recent years has been compiled.
The Master of the Coombe, Dr Sean Daly, has said a full review of security is being carried out. The mortuary is in a separate building in the hospital complex, and the remains of the babies, all of whom were under 20 weeks, were held in special containers.