Three more Dublin Bus routes to be privatised from Sunday
One in 10 of State firm’s routes were taken up by Go-Ahead Ireland after a tender process
Three more bus routes are to switch from Dublin Bus to Go-Ahead Ireland from Sunday in a move that will mark the final phase of a privatisation plan that began in the capital in September. Photograph: Alan Betson/The Irish Times.
Under reforms announced in 2017, one in 10 Dublin Bus routes - 24 services - were put out to tender. The contract was won by Go-Ahead Ireland.
From Sunday, routes 18, 76 and 76A will be operated under the Transport for Ireland brand by Go-Ahead Ireland.
There are no changes to fares and ticketing. However, timetables and frequency may be altered so customers are advised to check before making their journeys.
The National Transport Authority (NTA) said the switchover of routes would free up resources to allow it to approve a programme of service improvements and modifications on Dublin Bus routes across the network in the weeks ahead.
Go-Ahead Ireland, a private bus company which mainly operates bus and rail services in the UK, said last year the contract to run 24 routes in Dublin would see 425 people hired and investment of €8.5 million in its Irish operation.
It said it was planning to hire 350 bus drivers as well as engineers, maintenance workers and mechanics.
NTA chief executive Anne Graham said the final changes being introduced were part of an overall plan to increase frequency and improve services on about 50 bus routes in Dublin.