How Paul Williams came to appear before Charleton tribunal

Background: Crime journalist was in contact with Ms D over Maurice McCabe claim

Crime journalist Paul Williams at the Charleton tribunal in Dublin Castle. Photograph: Gareth Chaney/Collins

Crime journalist Paul Williams at the Charleton tribunal in Dublin Castle. Photograph: Gareth Chaney/Collins

 

The veteran crime journalist Paul Williams told the Charleton tribunal that he was never briefed negatively about the Garda whistleblower Sgt Maurice McCabe.

The tribunal is examining whether a false allegation of digital rape of a minor, made against Sgt McCabe, was used by Garda management to discredit him, and Williams said the first he heard of the claim was earlier this year, after it was broadcast on RTÉ’s Prime Time.

In 2013 the digital rape allegation was wrongly included in a counsellor’s report on “Ms D”, who had made a much milder complaint against the whistleblower back in 2006.

When notifying the social services about the 2006 complaint on the mistaken impression that they had not heard it before, counsellor Laura Brophy included an allegation from a different client about a different alleged perpetrator. She made a cut and paste error, she has told the tribunal.

On Monday, Ms D and her parents gave evidence of their shock when they discovered, via the Garda, in 2014, that Ms D’s original complaint had erroneously been transformed into an allegation of rape.

The parents said they initially feared the report might be true and was something their daughter had been holding back from them. Ms D said she was “livid” when she found out what had happened and took immediate steps to have the mistake corrected.

Erroneous rape allegation

A number of Garda officers are to give evidence from Wednesday as the tribunal shifts towards examining how McCabe’s employers dealt with the erroneous rape allegation. They were notified about it by social services in 2013, following Brophy’s catastrophic error.

More generally, the tribunal is examining whether senior Garda management tried to smear McCabe using the 2006 complaint.

Williams said he interviewed Ms D in 2014 after he was contacted by her father, who is a garda in Bailieboro, Co Cavan.

By this stage, two journalists had knocked on the door of Ms D’s family home, so someone had told the media about the history, so to speak, between Ms D and McCabe.

The journalist denied any suggestion that his visit to interview Ms D in her family home was in any way linked to an “orchestrated campaign” or that he had ever been briefed negatively against McCabe by Garda management.

Mr D has said he got Williams’s number from Garda colleague Det Supt John O’Reilly, who was known to both.

Wrote articles

Subsequent to the interview, Williams said, Ms D contacted him and asked him to help her get in contact with Micheál Martin, which he did. He wrote articles about her meeting with the Fianna Fáil leader. Ms D’s focus at the time was in securing an investigation into how the Garda had treated her 2006 complaint, which had not resulted in any charges.

Williams also said he helped Ms D get in contact with Alan Shatter, who had resigned as minister for justice arising from the controversy that surrounded the handling of McCabe’s whistleblower claims.

Two days after the meeting, Shatter spoke in the Dáil and called for the unidentified Ms D case to be investigated.

“She wanted to meet him because he had lost his job,” Williams said.

He said he had arranged meetings for others in the past in this way and denied the suggestion that he was “agitating” for Ms D or that his activities were inappropriate for a journalist. He did not contact McCabe, he said, because he wrote about the 2006 allegation without identifying either party.

Williams said he was aware of an allegation to the tribunal that he had been shown the 2006 file on McCabe, and said it was “completely and absolutely without truth”.

Videographer

He said he took an Independent Newspapers videographer with him to the 2014 interview so that there would be a record of what was said by Ms D.

He never briefed any senior garda about the interview. He had not worked on the McCabe story prior to the interview, nor was he involved much afterwards. He couldn’t say where he heard the vague rumours that were around at the time.

“They were just there,” he said.

He was never briefed by former commissioner Martin Callinan, or Garda Commissioner Nóirín O’Sullivan, or former head of the Garda press office Supt Dave Taylor, about McCabe.

“That’s not the way it would happen with me,” he said.

The vague rumour was that McCabe had a grievance, that his complaints about Garda malpractices had not come “just out of the blue”, and there was a lot of “bad blood in Bailieboro”.

Supt Noel Cunningham, who investigated the 2006 complaint, is the next scheduled witness.

The Irish Times Logo
Commenting on The Irish Times has changed. To comment you must now be an Irish Times subscriber.
SUBSCRIBE
GO BACK
Error Image
The account details entered are not currently associated with an Irish Times subscription. Please subscribe to sign in to comment.
Comment Sign In

Forgot password?
The Irish Times Logo
Thank you
You should receive instructions for resetting your password. When you have reset your password, you can Sign In.
The Irish Times Logo
Please choose a screen name. This name will appear beside any comments you post. Your screen name should follow the standards set out in our community standards.
Screen Name Selection

Hello

Please choose a screen name. This name will appear beside any comments you post. Your screen name should follow the standards set out in our community standards.

The Irish Times Logo
Commenting on The Irish Times has changed. To comment you must now be an Irish Times subscriber.
SUBSCRIBE
Forgot Password
Please enter your email address so we can send you a link to reset your password.

Sign In

Your Comments
We reserve the right to remove any content at any time from this Community, including without limitation if it violates the Community Standards. We ask that you report content that you in good faith believe violates the above rules by clicking the Flag link next to the offending comment or by filling out this form. New comments are only accepted for 3 days from the date of publication.