Ten classic gifts for her and him
You can’t go too far wrong if you stick with the classics
We can hear the men of Ireland gulp at the mere mention of Tiffany but you needn’t necessarily remortgage the house. The classic heart tag charm bracelet in sterling silver costs from €290
If the thought of gift shopping for your nearest and dearest sends you into a tailspin of bother and confusion, the first step is to ignore the dizzying array of choice out there and simplify your life.
1. Chanel No 5 eau de parfum. An old one but a good one. There is a reason this fragrance has remained a classic since it was released in 1921. A floral scent with basenotes of sandalwood, it oozes sophistication, €85.50 for 50 ml, Brown Thomas and other stockists .
2. Dr Hauschka Rose Day cream gift set. This rich day cream is a staple of many women’s beauty regime because it nurtures, strengthens and protects from the harsh winter elements and it smells like rose petals. The gift set also contains cleansing cream and the two work together to give you a dewy complexion . €29.95 from Nourish.ie and other stockists.
3. Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour hour cream gift set. This set has the iconic all-purpose skin protectant and a lip protectant with an SPF of 15, all very snazzily packaged in gold. €41 , Debenhams.
4. Something from Tiffany . We can hear the men of Ireland gulp at the mere mention of Tiffany but you needn’t necessarily remortgage the house. The classic heart tag charm bracelet in sterling silver costs from €290 and if you are feeling generous, the 18k gold version is a more eye-watering €3,300. See tiffany.ie.
1. Absolut Vodka limited edition. In 1986, Andy Warhol created the first of many commissioned artworks to be used in Absolut Vodka’s advertising campaigns. The recently released Absolut’s colourful Warhol limited edition bottle, “is a celebration of creativity, pop art and the brands collaboration with Andy Warhol”. Available from Harvey Nichols and other stockists nationwide for around €26.68, harveynichols.com
2. If you are hell bent on buying him socks, make them socks from the classic brand with a classic pattern, such s these argyll socks from Pringle, €22.50 from debenhams.ie
3. A watch from Weir and sons on Grafton Street . You can’t get much more refined or less gimmicky than a Gents Tissot Classic dream, €140 . weirandsons.ie
4. Go Retro. The Old Spice Whitewater gift set, “the manliest gift set known to man,” contains the original aftershave and deodorant body spray and costs €10.99. boots.ie.
5. The pocket square - please don’t refer to it as a hankie - has come back into vogue with a vengeance and is no longer considered a naff present, although, be warned, it may not be appreciated unless the recipient is aged over 30. The Eton pocket square from Louis Copeland is €45, louiscopeland.com