Keegan pounces to make a point for Bray


A dramatic 90th-minute equaliser from Paul Keegan left Shamrock Rovers utterly frustrated as Bray snatched an unlikely point in the dimming light of Morton Stadium yesterday.

Ultimately, Rovers paid the price for not taking more of the numerous chances they created throughout a very one-sided game in what their manager Damien Richardson described as his side's best performance of the season.

Keegan's point-winner was nonetheless spectacular, his shot from 22 yards cannoning down off the crossbar to clearly cross the line before spinning out.

Apart from a good save by Robbie Horgan from Phil Keogh and a bad miss by Barry O'Connor, Bray were not otherwise in the match as Rovers tormented them in virtually every department. The corner count of eight to one was a clear indication of their first-half dominance.

Twice from those Marc Kenny corners Rovers came close to taking a deserved lead. The crossbar saved the visitors on six minutes from Gareth Cronin's skilful left foot flick while Rovers' captain Derek Tracey's side-footer was somehow cleared off the line by the perfectly placed Keogh.

Both goalkeeper Eddie van Boxtel and Keogh then had to come to Bray's rescue at the double six minutes before the break; van Boxtel initially making a point-blank save from Tony Grant before Keogh again scrambled the ball off the line as Cousins reacted first to the rebound.

But the pressure on the Bray goal had to tell and it did right on 45 minutes. Matt Britton, playing against his former club for the first time since his recent move to Bray, was booked for a foul on Billy Woods out on the left. Further punishment quickly followed as the remarkable Cousins arrived to head home Kenny's free-kick for his third goal in two games since his return from injury.

Shamrock Rovers: Horgan; Vaudequin, Palmer, Cronin, Woods; Kenny, Colwell, Tracey, Byrne; Cousins, Grant. Subs: Robinson for Kenny (89 mins.), Francis for Byrne (90 mins.).

Bray Wanderers: van Boxtel; Britton, Lynch, Doohan, Keogh; Tresson, Gormley, Campbell, Farrell; O'Connor, Keegan. Subs: Charles for Doohan (hlaf-time), Smith for Campbell (64 mins.), Griffin for Britton (75 mins.).

Referee: R O'Hanlon (Waterford).