Dramatic comeback helps holders Cork defeat Dublin to advance to the last four

Kerry pip Mayo in second enthralling quarter-final at Birr

Cork’s Doireann O’Sullivan and Orlagh Farmer celebrate after the final whistle following victory over Dublin at Birr. Photograph: Cathal Noonan/Inpho

Eamonn Ryan's Cork produced a remarkable comeback to defeat Dublin 1-19 to 2-12 on Saturday in Birr and book their place in the semi-finals of the TG4 All-Ireland ladies senior football championship.

Goals from Lindsey Davey and Lindsey Peat had Dublin on course for victory in the second half as they led by 2-12 to 0-9 but after Sineadn Aherne popped over a point to put the Sky Blues nine points in front, they failed to score again.

Instead, All-Ireland champions Cork hit 1-10 without reply in the final 20 minutes to clinch a sensational four-point win.

Dublin, who led 1-8 to 0-7 at half-time, and who had not played a game since the Leinster final six weeks previously, ran out of steam as Cork came on strong.


Powered forward by player of the match Juliet Murphy, the beaten Munster finalists grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck. Points from top scorer Valerie Mulcahy, hard-working forward Nollaig Cleary and Murphy got the ball rolling for Cork before sub Rhona Ní Bhuachalla banged home a 44th minute goal.

Two further points from Mulcahy (one free) and Nollaig Cleary hauled Cork level at 1-15 to 2-12 and they kicked for home with further points from Mulcahy, superb wing-back Geraldine O’Flynn, Mulcahy again and Ciara O’Sullivan.

Kerry edged past Mayo 2-14 to 2-23 in a gripping quarter-final clash. The Kingdom needed three late points to earn a victory against a Mayo side inspired by Cora Staunton. The ace forward scored 1-9, a tally matched by Kerry's Louise Ní Mhuircheartaigh, in a memorable tie.

Mayo led 2-13 to 2-11 with ten minutes remaining but but late scores from player of the match Ní Mhuircheartaigh, sub Margaret Fitzgerald and Louise Galvin snatched a sensational win for the Munster champions.