Three people have died after avalanche on Ben Nevis

Police Scotland said avalanche reported on UK’s highest mountain before noon

Three climbers have died and another has been injured after an avalanche on Ben Nevis, the UK's highest mountain.

Police Scotland were alerted to the incident shortly after 11.50am on Tuesday and began coordinating a mountain rescue response at Number 5 Gully.

Initially, police said two climbers had died and two were injured but later on Tuesday confirmed one of the injured climbers had since died.

The other climber was flown to Queen Elizabeth University Hospital in Glasgow.


Police Scotland’s Fort William Inspector Isla Campbell said: “This has been a challenging operation and I want to pass on my thanks to the mountain rescue teams, colleagues at the Maritime & Coastguard Agency and Scottish Ambulance Service for their assistance in extremely difficult conditions.

“I would also like to praise members of the public and staff from the Scottish Avalanche Information Service who were on scene at the time and provided immediate assistance.”

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon earlier said it was “absolutely tragic news”.

She tweeted: “My thoughts are very much with the bereaved and injured. And my gratitude as always for the work of our emergency services, Mountain Rescue and Coastguard.”

Police Scotland coordinated the mountain rescue response, with volunteers from Lochaber Mountain Rescue and Glencoe Mountain Rescue teams attending.

Support at the scene was also received from the Coastguard and Maritime Agency and Scottish Ambulance Service.

Ben Nevis, near Fort William in the western Highlands, is a popular destination for experienced climbers, attracting 125,000 visitors each year.

Tuesday’s incident follows two recent fatal accidents on the mountain, which at 1,345m is the UK’s highest.

On New Year’s Day, a 21-year-old German woman, who was a student at Bristol University, died after she fell from a ridge she had been climbing with three other people.

She had been hiking on what is known as the “ledge route” when she fell around 500ft.

In December, Patrick Boothroyd (21), from West Yorkshire, died after falling in the Tower Gully area. - PA