New Zealand massacre: Victims named include three-year-old and futsal player

At least 50 dead after gunman opened fire in two mosques in Christchurch

Fifty people have been confirmed killed, and 50 injured, in Friday's terrorist attack on two mosques in the New Zealand city of Christchurch. As of Saturday night, 36 people remained in hospital.

New Zealand police have not yet issued any public identification of any victims of attack.

Those listed here are those victims who have been confirmed as killed, missing or injured – either by statements from family members, official organisations or both.

We will update this article with new information once it has been confirmed.



Mucad Ibrahim
Three-year-old Mucad Ibrahim is the youngest known victim of the attacks. He was at Al Noor mosque with his father and older brother Abdi when the attack happened. Everyone began to run, and Abdi thought his father had Mucad. In the rush and crush of people, the three became separated.

On Sunday, Abdi said police had confirmed his death. “My mum, she’s been struggling,” Abdi said. “Every time she sees other people crying, emotional, she just collapses.”

Ahmed Osman, a close family friend, said of Mucad: "He's been loved by the community here. It's been tough days. It's been really tough days."

Haji-Daoud Nabi
Seventy-one-year-old Haji-Daoud Nabi died as he tried to save the lives of fellow worshippers at Al Noor mosque.

Nabi came to New Zealand from Afghanistan in 1977 and was a beloved community leader. His son, Yama al-Nabi, was running late for a meeting with his father at the mosque, and escaped the shooting by minutes.

He told assembled media on Saturday that his father “jumped in the firing line to save somebody else’s life”. “He has passed away,” Nabi said.

Lilik Abdul Hamid
Lilik Abdul Hamid, a father of two, was an engineer for Air New Zealand. He had worked in Christchurch for 16 years.

His death was confirmed on Sunday in an official statement from Air New Zealand's chief executive officer Christopher Luxon.

Sayyad Milne
Fourteen-year-old Sayyad Milne was a keen footballer who was shot at Al Noor mosque while attending Friday prayers, as he did every week.

The Year 10 student at Cashmere high school had dreamed of being an international footballer one day.

His father, John Milne, told New Zealand radio his son had died. "I've lost my little boy, he's just turned 14," he said. "It's so hard . . . to see him just gunned down by someone who didn't care about anyone or anything."

His mother, Noraini, managed to escape.

Atta Elayyan
Atta Elayyan, 33, was the goalkeeper of New Zealand's national men's futsal team.

Elayyan, who had just become a father, was confirmed killed by New Zealand’s football association on Sunday.

A Palestinian man who was born in Kuwait, Elayyan was also a popular member of the Christchurch tech industry. He leaves behind his wife Farah and young daughter Aya.

"There is huge hole in our hearts," said teammate Josh Margetts.

Ali Elmadani
Retired engineer Ali Almadani came to New Zealand from the United Arab Emirates in 1998.

His daughter, Maha Elmadani, is a Christchurch-based graphic designer, and told news site that her father had died on Friday.

Naeem Rashid & Taha Naeem
Father and son Naeem Rashid and 21-year-old Taha Naeem were both killed on Friday.

Pakistan’s foreign affairs minister tweeted that the pair were confirmed killed.

Khaled Mustafa
Syrian refugee Khaled Mustafa had survived civil war and atrocities in Syria before he was killed on Friday in the terrorist attack.

Ali Akil, a spokesman for the group Syrian Solidarity New Zealand said Mustafa's wife confirmed he had been killed.

“[They] survived atrocities” and “arrived here in a safe haven only to be killed in the most atrocious way,” said Akil. “They were just looking for a safe place.”

Missing or injured

Zulfirman and Averroes Syah
Father and son Zulfirman and Averroes Syah are injured but alive.

Alta Marie, Zulfirman’s husband, said he shielded their son from bullets during the attack. Zulfirman is in a stable condition following extensive surgery, Marie said, while Averroes, aged two, only suffered minor injuries thanks to his father’s actions.

“While he is still in the intensive care unit at this stage, he will be moved to the general ward whenever it is deemed appropriate - likely in the next day or so,” she told the New Zealand Herald. “His condition has only improved since he arrived at the hospital yesterday.” – Guardian