Eight Dublin households informed homes at risk from MetroLink
Residents of Townsend Street duplexes had no expectation their homes would be affected
Labour Senator Kevin Humphreys said the situation was ‘totally appalling’. Photograph: Alan Betson
Eight Dublin households received unexpected letters on Friday informing them their homes could be demolished as part of plans for a MetroLink station in the city.
Residents of duplex buildings on Townsend Street were not informed of their potential fate when updated plans for the MetroLink rail project were unveiled earlier this week.
Unlike the neighbouring College Gate apartment complex, whose residents have known for some time they may be subject to compulsory purchase orders, those in Townsend Street had no expectation they would be affected. “Unfortunately this work will also impact on your building,” they were told in the letter.
He said: “This [project] consultation has been going on for a year now and the community are only finding out now that their houses are going to be demolished.”