The murder trial of Irish nanny Aisling Brady McCarthy has been postponed until October at the request of her defence team due to delays in obtaining evidence from prosecutors and to give the lawyers time to obtain medical reports.
Ms Brady McCarthy, who is accused of killing toddler Rehma Sabir in her family's apartment near Boston, was scheduled to stand trial for her murder on April 7th but the Middlesex Superior Court in Woburn, Massachusetts has postponed the trial to October 14th to give her lawyers more time to prepare. The Co Cavan woman, who has been in jail since January 2013, has pleaded not guilty.
The decision to postpone was taken at a hearing in court last Friday. A spokeswoman for the Middlesex District Attorney’s office, which is prosecuting the case against the woman, said that the case would come before the court again on April 11th for a scheduling hearing.
A judge denied the nanny a reduction in bail from $500,000 to $5,000 last month. On that occasion one of her lawyers said that there was “absolutely no way” the case was going to trial in April because of the number of experts who needed to analyse the medical evidence.