Man suspected of faking IDs for Isis released without charge

Director of Public Prosecutions will make decision on whether further action to be taken

It is believed the man had been monitored in recent months because of his frequent travel between the UK and Ireland. File photograph: Frank Miller/The Irish Times

It is believed the man had been monitored in recent months because of his frequent travel between the UK and Ireland. File photograph: Frank Miller/The Irish Times

 

A man suspected of producing false identification including passports for Islamic State terrorists has been released without charge pending a decision from the Director of Public Prosecutions.

The man, understood to be from Algeria, was arrested at a property in Dublin on Tuesday afternoon after gardaí acting on information from the London Metropolitan Police carried out a raid on the property. UK police officers were not involved in the raid.

He was released from Garda custody on Tuesday night. A Garda spokesman said a file was being prepared for the DPP who will make a decision on what, if any, charges should be brought.

It is believed the man had been monitored in recent months because of his frequent travel between the UK and Ireland. He is suspected of producing false passports and identification for terror suspects in Europe.

The man, in his 40s, was arrested by gardaí from the Special Detective Unit (SDU) during planned searches on a number of properties in the Dublin region. He was detained in a Dublin Garda station under Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act 1984.

He was questioned in relation to a number of items, including passports seized at the property. It is believed computer equipment was also seized during the raids.

A Garda source said the arrest was significant in the operations being carried out by An Garda Síochána and the London Metropolitan Police in the crackdown on terror activities.

Gardaí have downplayed any links the arrest may have to the ongoing investigation into the London Bridge terror attack, in which seven people died.

One of the London Bridge attackers, Rachid Redouane, was a Moroccan-Libyan pastry chef who had until shortly before the attack lived in Dublin. He is thought to have settled in Ireland about five years previously and did not appear to have come to the authorities’ notice before the June attack.