Man jailed for three-and-a-half years for assault on Seán Cox outside Anfield
Shauna Cox: ‘This violent and unprovoked attacked left Dad in a dire situation. His future is uncertain’
Seán Cox has been recovering at the National Rehabilitation Hospital in Dún Laoghaire.
Simone Mastrelli, 30, who has been jailed at Preston Crown Court for three-and-a-half years for the assault of Sean Cox, outside Anfield ahead of a Champions League tie between Liverpool and Roma last April. Photograph: Merseyside Police/PA
A balaclava-clad man who “destroyed” the life of Co Meath man Sean Cox and his family in a “brutal and vicious” attack in Liverpool ahead of a Champions League tie has been jailed for three-and-half-years.
AS Roma supporter Simone Mastrelli (30), picked out father-of-three Sean Cox (53), from the Liverpool FC scarf he was wearing and knocked him unconscious to the floor with a single heavy blow to the face near to Anfield stadium.
Mastrelli, a married man with children, was at the fore of a group of between 50 and 60 “ultras” in distinctive clothing with many covering their heads and faces, and some carrying belts in their hands as weapons.
As Mr Cox, from Dunboyne, lay motionless, the defendant quickly disappeared into the crowd and then removed his balaclava and hood before he “callously” returned to the ground and watched the first leg of the semi-final tie on April 24th last year.
He flew back to Italy the next day and remained at large until he was arrested in October and placed under house arrest following painstaking inquiries by Merseyside Police to identify his movements from CCTV footage.
Mastrelli fought extradition in several appeals before he was finally brought to the UK last month.
On Thursday, he was produced from custody at Preston Crown Court and pleaded guilty to unlawfully and maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm on Mr Cox.
The court heard Mr Cox was undergoing treatment at the National Rehabilitation Hospital in Dún Laoghaire for a “profound” brain injury which had left him unable him to communicate his needs, wants and wishes.
Prosecutor Keith Sutton said sales director Mr Cox, who was prior to the incident “a busy husband and father of three children with a wide circle of friends and many active interests” would be unlikely to live independently again.
His daughter, Shauna (20), entered the witness box to read out a victim personal statement as Mastrelli watched from the dock, flanked by an interpreter.
She said: “Before this brutal and vicious attack my dad was a fit and confident man, a man of integrity with a huge passion for life who represented everything which is good. A mentor, a proud family man with great community spirit.
“This violent and unprovoked attacked left Dad in a dire situation. His future is uncertain. We don’t know how he will progress and that really frightens us.
“Over the past 10 months we have spent all our time at Dad’s bedside and have celebrated birthdays and Christmas when all we want is our dad to be home.
“We hope and pray every day to see improvement in our dad. The focus is on getting Dad the proper care he needs.
“My dad went to watch his beloved team, Liverpool, and he never came home.”
Sentencing, the Recorder of Preston, Judge Mark Brown, told Mastrelli: “There is no doubt in my mind that you went to the stadium as a group to sort out the Liverpool supporters and in doing so you have destroyed the life of an innocent man and his family.
“This was on any view a dreadful offence. It has had a profound impact on Mr Cox and his family.” – PA