Gardaí release woman arrested over Cork machete murder

Irish man being questioned over killing of Mikolaj Wilk in Ballincollig last year

A woman who was arrested for questioning about the murder of a 35-year-old father-of-two with a machete in Co Cork last year has been released without charge.

Gardaí are to prepare a file for the DPP in relation to the 33-year-old woman's involvement in the killing of Polish national Mikolaj Wilk at his home at Maglin near Ballincollig on June 10th, 2018.

Mr Wilk was attacked by a machete-wielding gang when they broke into the house he shared with his wife, Elzbeta, and their two young children.

The woman was arrested at her house in the Mayfield area of Cork on Friday. She was held at Gurranabraher Garda station and questioned until just before midnight on Saturday night.


A file will also be prepared on a 29-year-old Latvian man who was arrested on Wednesday before being released late on Thursday.

Detectives are continuing to question a 35-year-old Irish man from the Knocknaheeny area of Cork city who was arrested on Wednesday.

The man, who had gone to the UK immediately after Mr Wilk's murder but returned to Ireland in recent times, is being held at Togher Garda station under Section 50 of the Criminal Justice Act which allows gardaí to detain suspects for up to seven days. Gardaí have already obtained an extension to his initial detention after 72 hours.

These recent arrests bring to six the number of people arrested in relation to Mr Wilk’s death.

Three people were arrested in January on suspicion of facilitating and supporting an organised crime gang whom gardaí suspect were behind Mr Wilk’s murder. The three were released without charge.

Earlier this month at Cork City Coroner's Court, Sgt Fergus Twomey applied for an adjournment of the inquest into Mr Wilk's death, telling Cork City Coroner, Philip Comyn that the investigation remained "live, active and ongoing".

Mr Wilk's inquest was first opened on November 1st last year when Assistant State Pathologist, Dr Margaret Bolster said Mr Wilk had died from shock and haemorrhage due to multiple blows from sharp weapons in association with a traumatic brain injury.

Barry Roche

Barry Roche

Barry Roche is Southern Correspondent of The Irish Times