Boy (17) charged with murder of Adam Muldoon in Tallaght

The 23-year-old died after he sustained stab wounds in a Dublin park over the weekend

A handout photo issued by gardaí of Adam Muldoon whose body was found in Butler Park, Tallaght, south-west Dublin, on Saturday. Photograph: PA

A 17-year-old boy has been remanded in custody with an order that he was to get "urgent psychiatric attention" after he was charged with the murder of Adam Muldoon who was found dead following a stabbing in Tallaght, Dublin at the weekend.

The body of Adam Muldoon (23) a disabled man from Tallaght who had been affected by homelessness, was found at 6.30am on Saturday at Butler Park.

Mr Muldoon, who had cerebral palsy, had sustained stab wounds and was pronounced dead at the scene.

His body was later removed to the city morgue at Whitehall where a postmortem was carried out by Assistant State Pathologist Dr Bolster.


The accused, who cannot be identified because he is a minor, had been arrested at the weekend and was brought to appear before judge John O’Connor at the Dublin Children’s Court on Monday morning.

He was charged with the murder of 23-year-old Adam Muldoon on June 23rd at Butler Park, Tallaght, in Dublin.

Dressed in a white t-shirt, grey bottoms and grey runners, the youth sat back with his arms folded as evidence was given by Det Garda Nuala Burke of Rathfarnham Garda station.


She told the court the teenager was arrested on Monday morning for the purpose of being charged in relation to murder contrary to common law. She said he was cautioned and that anything he said would be taken down. In response he made “no reply”.

The charge was then put to them after which he was cautioned again and in reply to the charge he said, “No.” He was then handed a copy of the charge sheet.

Due to the nature of the charge, the Children's Court cannot grant bail and an application will have to be made in the High Court, should the accused wish to seek bail.

The boy, who did not address the court, was accompanied to the proceedings by his grandparents. The judge asked defence solicitor Michael Hennessy if medical attention was required for the defendant.

“I have deep concerns about my client’s psychiatric well-being, I would ask for a direction for urgent psychiatric attention on arrival at the place of detention,” Mr Hennessy said.

Judge O’Connor acceded to that request.

After Gardai and the court probation officer confirmed there was a place available, Judge O’Connor remanded the boy in custody to the Oberstown detention centre. He will face his next hearing at a sitting of Tallaght Children’s Court on Friday.

Legal aid was granted.

The judge also reminded journalists in court that the laws in relation the teen’s right to anonymity must not be breached and he added: “I’m particularly focussing on social media.”

The teen was hugged by his grandparents just before he was escorted from the courtroom.