Newcomers show no sign of slowing down


Waterford Crystal and Dublin Bay Vikings have managed to build up the type of momentum that often becomes difficult to slow down. Over the weekend neither side showed any evidence of their newcomer status in the ESB Superleague as they extended their winning streak to three, each winning on the road.

Waterford's journey to Dungannon was rewarded with a one point victory (83-82) while the Vikings went to Kerry and inflicted a third three-point defeat (73-76) of the season on home side Killarney.

Dungannon led their match against Waterford 25-19 in the first quarter and although the visitors came back, Dungannon fought bravely in the third quarter to set up a thrilling finale. It was left to Dean Kavanagh to clinch the game with a basket in the last 15 seconds. Roscoe Patterson also made a marvellous contribution of 39 points for Waterford.

Killarney lined out with only one American due to the absence of Ricardo Leonard and were also missing Vince Daly and Blake Gage, both out through injury while the Vikings also missed Jerome Westbrooks, Damien Leahy and Tommy Costello. But the visitors, showing a greater physical presence under the boards, led 3729 at half time.

With just over two minutes remaining and the game poised at 71-71 Vikings took the firmer grip leaving defeated Killarney to ponder, amongst other things, their poor free throw record of 15 from 27 attempts.

Star of the Sea returned to winning ways after a scrappy home game against Marlborough Saints. The Saints led the first quarter 1714 and the game went basket for basket until the final quarter when Star pulled away for a 77-62 win.

UCD Marian also came out tops in a ragged affair against Blue Demons. Although the Demons were up 24-17 at the end of the first quarter, they faded away, allowing the visitors a 63-77 victory.

Limerick hit 100 against visitors Tolka Rovers in a highlypaced contest. It was even enough towards the end of the first half before Limerick stole the ball five times in a row for 10 points. The home side then took contol to win 100-82 with Charles Williams top scorer on 25 points.

In the Women's Super League, Snowcream Wildcats extended their winning streak as Supermacs Limerick did what many teams have done over the last year - they came and left empty-handed. The home side's 67-49 win arrived after a poor start which left only a point between the teams by half-time. Foul trouble hampered Limerick as Snowcream's experience began to tell in the end.

Meteors overcame Tolka Rovers 48-43 after the sides finished the first half on 21-21. With five minutes remaining the teams were still level 41-41 before Karen Hennessy, having only scored two points to that point in the match, added two baskets in succession to help Meteors edge the game.