Morrison's goal enough to help UCD see off plucky Drogheda


Drogheda Utd 0 UCD 1:UCD BEGAN their campaign with a narrow win over a Drogheda side that gave of their all over the 90 minutes.

The visiting students were just about value for their victory if only for the greater number of chances they created against a side that was hastily assembled and quite obviously short on pre-season preparations.

Both sides enjoyed their fair share of possession in an opening half that was big on effort but distinctly lacking in clear-cut goal chances.

UCD looked sharper in the final third of the park and they forced Drogheda goalkeeper David Quirke into action on a number of occasions as he made fine stops from Cillian Morrison, Gerard O’Callaghan and Graham Rusk.

Drogheda’s best effort fell to former Shelbourne striker Dinny Corcoran, who dispossessed Yale Haro before sending a fine shot only just the wrong side of the post.

The visitors took control of matters right from the off in the second half, however, and succeeded in pinning United back. But they failed to make their superiority count in terms of goals.

In fact the best they could muster during a 20-minute spell in which they were totally on top was a shot by Morrison that was easily dealt with by goalkeeper Quirke.

With just over an hour gone Quirke had to be at his best once more when hid did really well to get down and hold a stinging drive from Rusk.

But Drogheda’s spirited resistance was finally broken 10 minutes from time when they afforded Ciarán Nangle the freedom of the park on the left to cross for Cillian Morrison who bundled the ball over the line.

The home side came closest to levelling matters just before the finish when John Lester blasted the ball into the side-netting from a good position.

But the relieved students had done enough to garner the points.

DROGHEDA UNITED: Quirke, Gannon, Quigley, McNally, Whelan, Lester, O’Brien, McCrossan, Freeman, Corcoran (Hanaphy 58), Hand (Skelly 79).

UCD: Barron, Harding, Nangle, Haro, Leahy, Corry, Marshall (Meenan 66), Creevy, Morrison, Rusk, O’Callaghan (O’Connor 66).

Referee: N Doyle(Dublin).