Jurors retire in case of Irish film director accused of sex assault

‘The Survivalist’ director Stephen Fingleton denies attacking actor in flat in October 2017

Jurors in the London trial of an Irish film director accused of sexual assault have retired to consider their verdict.

Bafta-nominated Stephen Fingleton (35), is alleged to have attacked an actor at her west London flat during a lunch to discuss work opportunities on October 27th, 2017.

Mr Fingleton, of Enniskillen, Co Fermanagh, denies one count of sexual assault. His feature film The Survivalist was nominated for a Bafta award in 2016.

The jury of six men and six women retired to consider its verdict on Tuesday morning after the judge, Recorder Antonie Muller, summed up the case.

Allegedly grabbed woman’s head

Isleworth Crown Court previously heard Mr Fingleton allegedly grabbed the woman’s head and pushed it towards her crotch as she hung up washing.

He is then alleged to have hugged her as she started crying, stroked her hair, put his hand under her T-shirt and tried to kiss her, the jury heard.

The pair had arranged the lunch after they exchanged numbers at an industry event in the British capital.

The woman told jurors it was a business meeting, but Mr Fingleton said it was not about work. He denied the alleged attack happened.

The jury was sent home on Tuesday afternoon and are to continue their deliberations at 10am on Wednesday. – Press Association