Sligo dumped out by Leitrim


GAA round-up:Sligo’s emergence as a major force in Connacht was stopped in its tracks this afternoon as last year’s beaten finalists came unstuck against Leitrim. Leitrim led by three at half-time but the introduction of Mark Breheny threatened to restore the natural order west of the Shannon.

The Kingdom’s comfortable 2-16 to 0-11 win in Killarney was marred by the dismissal of O’Se in the 33rd minute but two goals from Bryan Sheehan, the first from the penalty spot, ensured the reigning champions were never going to be deposed.

Cork were never troubled against Clare, running out 1-23 to 0-11 winners.

In Portlaoise, the Leinster championship got off to a decidedly underwhelming start after Laois edged a low quality contest with Longford.

The windy conditions didn’t help matters but Longford, without a win over the O’Moore County since 1968, will rue the amount of wides they kicked as they were beaten 0-10 to 0-9.

Laois advance to the quarter-finals where league finalists Dublin lie in wait and manager Justin McNulty knows his side will have to improve immeasurably if they are to have any hope of causing an upset.

The second match of the double header at O'Moore Park saw Kildare progress as Wicklow imploded after holding their own for 35 minutes. Mick O’Dwyer’s side could muster just a single score in the second half as they went down 0-12 to 0-5.

In Ulster, Derry could afford to take their foot off the gas in the second half and still manage an eight point win over a callow Fermanagh.

Derry went into the interval 13 points to the good with nine different players notching scores, including a goal for Eoin Bradley. With the match wrapped up, Derry went into cruise control after the break but still ran out 1-18 to 1-10 winners.

GAA Results

Leinster SFC
Laois 0-10 Longford 0-9
Kildare 0-12 Wicklow 0-5

Ulster SFC
Derry 1-18 Fermanagh 1-10

Munster SFC
Kerry 2-16 Tipperary 0-11
Cork 1-23 Clare 0-11

Connacht SFC
Sligo 0-10 Leitrim 1-10

Leinster SHC
Carlow 1-14 Westmeath 4-10