Storm Brendan: Met Éireann warns of continued flooding risk

Strong winds, high tides expected along Dublin coast following status-Orange storm

 Whitehead, County Antrim during  Storm Brendan. Photograph: SeaSugar Confectionery/PA Wire

Whitehead, County Antrim during Storm Brendan. Photograph: SeaSugar Confectionery/PA Wire

 

Flood defences are to remain along parts of the coast in Dublin until Thursday as further strong winds and high tides are expected over the next 24 hours.

Dublin City Council said a number of car parks at Clontarf, Sandymount and along the tidal reaches of the River Dodder near Ringsend and Ballsbridge will remain closed due to the potential risk of flooding.

A council spokesman said its staff would continue to monitor and take any necessary action over the coming days.

Flood barriers and sandbags were deployed at the start of the week due to the arrival of Storm Brendan, which affected most of the country on Monday. The status-Orange storm brought floods and gusts of over 100 km/h.

Waves crash over the seafront in Clontarf during Storm Brendan Photograph: Colin Keegan, Collins Dublin
Waves crash over the seafront in Clontarf during Storm Brendan Photograph: Colin Keegan, Collins Dublin

Waves had crashed over sea walls at several locations around Dublin Bay at the height of the storm.

High tides with sea levels up to almost 4 metres are due in Dublin at around 2.45am on Wednesday morning.

A status-Yellow wind warning has also been issued for Donegal, Galway and Mayo from 10pm on Tuesday until 6pm on Wednesday, with winds expected to reach an average of 50-65km/h, with gusts of up to 100km/h in places.

Met Éireann has warned there is also a risk of coastal flooding around the period of high tides.

Donegal County Council said all main roads in the county were due to be gritted on Tuesday evening as a result of forecasts of wintry showers of snow and sleet with the wind-chill effect making temperatures feel as low as -4 degrees.

The Irish Coast Guard has advised members of the public to continue to stay away from exposed beaches, cliff and piers during storm conditions.

Electricity loss

Meanwhile, the ESB said it expected most of the 500 remaining households that experienced power cuts as a result of Storm Brendan on Monday would have their supplies restored by Tuesday evening.

Areas where ESB customers were still without electricity included parts of Sligo, Leitrim, Galway and Kerry, as well as some localised areas in Arklow, Co Wicklow and Enniscorthy, Co Wexford.

An overturned caravan near the beach at Garretstown, Co Cork. Photograph: Denis Boyle
An overturned caravan near the beach at Garretstown, Co Cork. Photograph: Denis Boyle

An ESB spokeswoman said emergency crews had earlier restored power to around 3,500 other households during the day.

Thousands of people experienced power cuts during the height of the Atlantic storm on Monday when gusts of up to 130 km/h were recorded in exposed areas. At its peak, 50,000 ESB customers were without power.

ESB staff also had to temporarily cut electricity supplies to some homes on Tuesday in order to facilitate the removal of trees that had fallen on electricity wires.

The spokeswoman said most necessary repairs were expected to be completed by Tuesday night.

Ongoing strong winds in the aftermath of Storm Brendan provided good news for some, as surfers in Mullaghmore, Co Sligo enjoyed some of the largest waves this winter with swells of up to 8 metres reported.