Fire sees section of Dublin’s Temple Bar area cordoned off
Residents had to leave Crampton Building flats for a time due to blaze in restaurant
A fireman and gardaí are seen attending to a fire in the Temple Bar area of Dublin on Monday evening. Photograph: James Forde/The Irish Times.
A fireman is seen in the Temple Bar area where a fire led to the evacuation of an apartment complex. Photograph: James Forde/The Irish Times.
A section of Dublin’s Temple Bar was cordoned off on Monday evening following a fire.
Dublin Fire Brigade and gardaí attended a scene at Asdill’s Row after being notified of a blaze at about 5.30pm. It is understood that the fire broke out in a restaurant kitchen.
More than 20 residents were asked to leave the nearby Crampton Buildings apartment complex but Dublin Fire Brigade said there were no injuries as a result of the incident.
The residents have since been allowed back into their homes but it is understood there has been smoke damage to two of the properties.
Cllr Mannix Flynn said gardaí from Pearse Street initially arrived at the scene and evacuated the buildings.
“Residents are very shook, particularly the elderly residents,” the Independent member of Dublin City Council said. “The gardaí were exemplary in evacuating residents along with the residents themselves who helped some of their elderly neighbours.
“There was a large amount of smoke and so it was a bad shock to the residents who weren’t sure what was going on.”