Fire destroys newly-renovated clubhouse at Adare Manor
Ten fire units dispatched after alarm raised at hotel and golf resort early on Monday
A fire which destroyed a newly-renovated golf clubhouse on the grounds of Adare Manor hotel and golf resort is believed to have been “electrical related”.
Ten fire engines were deployed to help put out the blaze at the exclusive Co Limerick five-star resort in the early hours of Monday morning.
Sources said they did not know the specific cause of the blaze yet, “but it is believed to have been electrical related”. Gardaí said they did not suspect any foul play.
The new clubhouse was being renovated as part of a multi-million euro revamp of the resort.
The cost of the damage is unknown, however a spokesperson for Adare Manor said the fire would not delay the resort’s scheduled re-opening in the Autumn.
Dozens of firefighters were deployed to the scene from station houses in Limerick city, Kilmallock, Newcastle West and Rathkeale. A high-rise hydraulic platform, attached to Limerick City fire service, was also utilised during the blaze to help provide water cover to the area.
A source said the clubhouse was “destroyed” in the blaze.
For the past 17 months Adare Manor has being undergoing a major restoration, refurbishment and expansion works.
A two-day staff recruitment drive took place on Monday, and will continue Tuesday.
Commenting on the fire, an Adare Manor spokesperson stated: “We would like to thank the local fire service for their prompt response, when they were called early this morning to put out a fire, which had started in part of the roof of the Club House terrace.”
“The clubhouse, which is currently under refurbishment, was unoccupied at the time and no one was injured. It is not known what started the fire, but a review of the site will be conducted over the coming days. No other part of the resort was affected.”
The revamped Adare Manor will employ 350 people and expects to welcome 60,000 visitors annually.