Man in court after robbing shop while armed gardaí present

Patrick Dunne arrested following robbery at Centra shop at Coultry Road in Ballymun

A 29-year-old Dublin man was arrested for an armed raid at a shop after being chased out of the premises by two gardaí, a court has heard.

Patrick Dunne from St Jarlath Road, Cabra was arrested following a robbery at a Centra shop at Coultry Road in Ballymun in Dublin on Tuesday evening.

He was held overnight and brought to appear before Judge Miriam Malone at a late sitting of Dublin District Court on Wednesday charged with robbery.

Garda Ronan D’Arcy told the court the accused made no reply when he was charged. He objected to bail citing the seriousness of the offence.


He told the court it was alleged the accused entered the shop at 7.10pm on Tuesday and “produced an imitation firearm, threatened staff and stole €885 in cash”.

Garda D’Arcy said he and a colleague were at the rear of the shop in relation to a separate enquiry while the robbery was occurring.

Gardaí pursued the accused on foot and arrested him in the rear garden of a house on Coultry drive at 7.20pm, the court heard.

The garda said Mr Dunne was in possession of a plastic bag which he had handed to the shop assistant to fill with cash.

Garda D’Arcy said the shop has been busy at the time of the alleged robbery and there was a large number of teenagers congregated outside.

Dressed in a grey tracksuit and runners, Mr Dunne did not address the court and spoke only to his solicitor Colleen Gildernew, who asked for bail.

She asked the court to note that her client had been affected by a number of bereavements. She said that he had helped nurse a close friend suffering from cancer who died earlier this week. He would like to be able to go to funeral which is taking place on Thursday, she said.

His father had also died a month ago, the court heard.

She said that he has been living in Santry in a hostel but would be able to return to his family home and would abide by any bail terms.

Ms Gildernew said Mr Dunne came from a close and supportive family who had concerns about his mental health. She said he had played a huge part in the lives of his relatives.

It was possible the case would be sent to a higher court but directions need to be obtained from the Director of Public Prosecutions, the court heard. He has not yet indicated how he will plead to the charge.

Judge Malone refused bail and remanded him in custody to appear again next Tuesday. She agreed to a defence application requesting that Mr Dunne would be given all medical treatment deemed necessary and for him to be considered for 24-hour observation while in custody.

Three of his sisters attended the hearing and the judge allowed them give a religious medal to Mr Dunne before he was escorted from the courtroom.

Legal aid was granted.