Man appears in court over fatal Tallaght stabbing

James Humphries died on Sunday from multiple stab wounds

 Trevor Corr of Kiltalown Way, Tallaght, pictured at Tallaght District Court today. Photograph: Colin Keegan/ Collins Dublin.

Trevor Corr of Kiltalown Way, Tallaght, pictured at Tallaght District Court today. Photograph: Colin Keegan/ Collins Dublin.


A 37-year-old man has been remanded in custody with consent to bail after being charged with the manslaughter of James Humphries in Tallaght, Dublin on Sunday.

Trevor Corr, with an address at Kiltalown Way, Tallaght, appeared before Tallaght District Court this morning where he was charged with killing Mr Humphries at his address contrary to Common Law on September 22nd.

The court was told that when Mr Corr, who is unemployed, was arrested and charged he replied: “Nothing to say”.

Det Garda David Jennings told the court Dublin Fire Brigade received a 999 call at 6.30pm on Sunday evening during which Mr Corr is alleged to have said he stabbed Mr Humphries because he found him sleeping “in his bed”.

He claimed Mr Corr made further admissions while en route to Tallaght Garda Station and also in the station where his comments were recorded in the custody record.

He said gardaí found a knife after allegedly being told by Mr Corr where it was.

Det Garda Jennings told the court Mr Corr said he had been “on a bender” for a week prior to the killing and had admitted to taking drugs including cocaine, speed and diazepam.

He also said there was a possibility that more serious charges might follow.

Looking tired and unshaven Mr Corr wore a blue and white striped t-shirt in court.

Det Garda Jennings said it was the garda’s belief Mr Corr might abscond and due to the seriousness of the charge, he objected to bail being granted.

Padraig O’Donovan, on behalf of Mr Corr, said the defence would challenge “all the admissions” his client was alleged to have made. He said his client would comply with any bail conditions. His client had been living at the same address since last April and was willing to sign on daily at Tallaght Garda Station, Mr O’Donovan said. Mr Corr had family members in court to support him.

Judge Anthony Halpin said he was in no doubt as to the “seriousness of the charge.”

He said gardaí had objected to bail being granted on the basis of the nature of the charge, the possibility that more serious charges could be made against Mr Corr and the accused’s tendency to abuse alcohol and drugs.

However, Judge Halpin said “punishment can only follow conviction” and added he was minded to grant bail “on the strictest of terms”.

Judge Halpin said knife crime featured daily in the District Court and “it would be remiss” of him not to suggest that the Government should increase the Garda Síochána’s powers of search and penalties upon conviction of knife possession.

Judge Halpin allowed the application for bail and remanded Mr Corr in custody with consent to bail until October 1st.

Setting out the conditions for bail, Judge Halpin said Mr Corr would have to remain in the Dublin Metropolitan area, lodge €1,000 and two independent sureties of €3,000 and €1,500.

Other conditions include that Mr Corr observes a curfew and that he resides at his brother’s address at Killinarden Estate where access would be limited to those who normally reside at that address. He is also required to sign on twice-daily at Tallaght Garda Station at times set out by the court.

Acknowledging a claim made by Mr O’Donovan that his client was of very limited means, Judge Halpin said he had “agonised” over whether or not to grant bail but had decided that the terms laid out before the court were “the minimum” the court could mandate.

The court heard that Mr Humphries was falling in and out of consciousness when he was found by the emergency services outside the house in Kiltalown Way on Sunday evening. Mr Humphries was taken to Tallaght Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 7.10pm on Sunday.