Crunchy crusted chicken
Crunchy crusted chicken. Photograph: Anne-Marie Carroll
- Serves: 4
- Cooking Time: 40 mins
- Course: Main Course
- Cuisine: Irish
- 4 bone-in, skinless chicken drumsticks
- 4 bone-in, skinless chicken thighs
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 heaped tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 large egg
- 75 grams crushed cornflakes (I use Doves Gluten Free Cornflakes)
- Half a teaspoon cayenne pepper
- radishes and salad leaves to serve
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
2. Season the chicken pieces generously with salt and pepper.
3. Spoon the mustard and the garlic into a shallow dish. Add the egg and whisk to combine.
4. Put the cornflakes into a bowl and crush them by hand until they look like coarse bread crumbs, you don’t want dust.
5. Add the cayenne pepper to the flakes and use a fork to mix in.
6. Working with one piece at a time, dip the chicken in egg mixture turning the pieces to coat them.
7. Then coat with seasoned cornflakes, pressing the flakes to help them stick.
8. Transfer coated pieces to a baking sheet. Bake until golden brown and crisp, about 40 minutes. By this time the chicken will be cooked through but do check.
9. Sprinkle with salt and pepper before serving.