'The Irish Times' Business Christmas Quiz 2016
Answer these 30 questions to be in with a chance of winning some great prizes
Here are 30 questions that will test your knowledge. Good luck with the answers and happy Christmas to you all.
1. How much has the European Commission ordered Ireland to recoup in back taxes from Apple?
2. What Irish media assets did Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp acquire this year?
3. Sherry FitzGerald’s commercial property division got a new name in 2016. What is the brand?
4. What level of surplus does Nama expect to achieve for the State by the time it winds up its activities in 2020?
5. Which former builder and current politician was declared bankrupt this year?
6. Which two airlines based in Ireland came close to merging their businesses in 2016 only for the deal to come apart at the eleventh hour?
7. In terms of CDs sold, who was the best selling recording artist in the United States this year?
8. Which Irish man is director of products at Clydesdale Bank in the United Kingdom?
9. What was the best performing share on the Iseq stock market in Dublin in 2016?
10. The four people pictured above took on new roles in 2016. Name them.
11. Which senior director and co-founder of Irish builder New Generation Homes left the business recently?
12. Who is the chair of the Oireachtas finance committee?
13. Which new transatlantic route was announced this year by Aer Lingus for take-off from Dublin next September?
14. Who decided this year to step down as chairman of Permanent TSB?
15. What is the name of the ESB-Vodafone joint venture competing for the Government’s National Broadband Plan?
16. Which regional town recorded the biggest percentage jump in house prices in the 12 months to July 2016, according to the CSO’s revamped property price index?
17. Which device did Samsung recall this year amid concerns of it catching fire?
18. Which major international hotel brand opened on O’Connell Street in Dublin in 2016?
19. Who won the overall EY Entrepreneur of the Year award in October?
20. According to a report from the C&AG, what was the potential loss to taxpayers from the sale of Project Eagle by Nama in 2014?
21. How many passengers does Ryanair expect to carry in the year to the end of March 2017?
22. Which long-established Irish-listed food company is set to be acquired by Sumitomo Corporation of Japan?
23. Which Dublin-based company is acquiring Peacock Foods?
24. Which long-established Italian bank finished bottom of the table in the European Bank Authority’s stress tests this year?
25. Who is the new owner of the Blanchardstown Shopping Centre and how much are they reported to have paid for the asset?
26. What was the size of the Budget 2016 adjustment?
27. “I don’t think it’s working. Let’s not worry about that. We’ll try again later.” What was Irish tech entrepreneur Paddy Cosgrave referring to when he uttered these words to an estimated 15,000 attendees on the first day of the Web Summit in Lisbon?
28. Which two health insurers were merged together during the year to form the new Irish Life Health?
29. After the Late Late Toy Show, what Irish TV broadcast drew the highest average audience figure this year?
30. Which foreign airline got clearance from US authorities this year to operate transatlantic flights from Cork and Shannon?
The prizes and how to enter
This year the winner will receive a pair of flights from Dublin to London, courtesy of Irish airline CityJet, along with a two-night stay for two people in The Marylebone, a Doyle Collection hotel.
The runner-up will receive six bottles of wine.
There is also a participants’ prize of a 12-month premium digital subscription to The Irish Times.
This will be awarded to the first name out of the hat for all completed entries. So there’s every incentive just to enter the competition.
Terms and conditions for the flights and the accommodation will be notified to the winner.
Entries should be sent for the attention of Ciarán Hancock to: The Irish Times, 24 Tara Street, Dublin 2 or by email to email@example.com.
Entries must be received by the close of business on Monday, January 9th.
The winner will be announced the following week.