FAI Cup: Sheriff YC pull off a surprise 3-1 victory against UCD

Derry City ease past Edenderry Town 3-0 at Paddy Maloney Park

Dublin Junior side Sheriff YC stunned UCD 3-1 at the UCD Bowl last night to provide the biggest shock of the FAI Cup second round.

Winners of the cup in 1984, it’s the first time UCD have been knocked out of the competition by a non-league side since entering the League of Ireland in 1979.

It was a fully deserved win by AUL side Sheriff, beaten in last month's FAI Junior Cup final. They took the lead on 37 minutes when Kevin Lynch's low drive found the net under home goalkeeper Niall Corbet.

Sheriff were two up within five minutes of the restart. Corbet came out of his area to head away a John Lester ball over the top. But the clearance was dreadful as it fell straight to Sheriff winger Sean Murphy whose delightful side-foot lob from 30 yards looped over the stranded Corbet to the net.


Sheriff sealed their convincing victory on 77 minutes when substitute Mark Higgins was left unmarked to score with a well-placed header from Darren Dunne's cross.


UCD’s consolation came right on 90 minutes from

Chris Mulhall

. Dinny Corcoran gave Sligo Rovers an eighth-minute lead against Leinster Senior League side Crumlin United on their way to a 2-0 win at the Showgrounds. Captain

David Cawley

added Sligo’s second goal on 39 minutes.

Derry City eased past non-league side Edenderry Town 3-0 at Paddy Maloney Park. A free kick from Mark Timlin put Derry in front five minutes before half-time. Ryan Curran doubled the lead seven minutes into the second half with Sean Houston tapping home the third from Timlin's pass on 84 minutes.

Cork non-league sides Cobh Wanderers and Avondale United meet again on Wednesday after playing out a 3-3 draw at Old Church Park. Goals from Gary Comerford and Simon Holland inside two minutes had Avondale 2-0 by the half hour mark.

Headed home

Though Davin O’Neill got Cobh back into it from a 31st minute penalty, Holland headed home his second from a 65th minutes corner to restore Avondale’s two-goal advantage.

Cobh rallied, though, with Ian Stapleton shooting home a 73rd minute free kick before capitalising on a defensive error to equalise five minutes from time. In the other all non-league tie played in Donegal, Cockhill Celtic beat Dublin side St Mochta's 3-0.

Gerry Gill put Cockhill ahead from a 49th minute penalty. Mattie Henry added a second on 71 minutes with Gill slotting home a second penalty in stoppage time.