FAI Cup round-up: Cork, Cobh and UCD book quarter-final slots

City score four goals to cruise past Longford Town

Kevin O'Connor, Seán Maguire, Karl Sheppard and Chiedozie Ogbene scored the goals as Cork City cruised into the quarter-finals of the FAI Cup with a 4-1 win over Longford Town at City Calling Stadium.

Cork were dominant from the start, taking the lead within four minutes. Longford captain Conor Powell gave away a free kick for a clumsy foul on Maguire just outside the area. Left back O'Connor ran on to skipper Greg Bolger's free kick to drill his shot forcefully through the wall to the net.

Two goals inside as many minutes midway through the second half ended the game as a contest.

Maguire pounced on a ricochet to run clear and shoot home Cork’s second goal on 68 minutes. Gavin Holohan then put Sheppard in to score with a rising shot for Cork’s third.


Eddie Dsane got Longford's consolation goal on 79 minutes, scooping home the rebound after Mark McNulty had parried a shot from Philip Gannon before substitute Ogbene added Cork's fourth strike two minutes into added time.

Shane O'Connor scored twice as Cobh Ramblers eased into the last eight as they beat Munster Senior League side Ringmahon Rangers 4-1 at Turner's Cross.

Conor Ellis latched onto a poor goal kick to shoot Cobh in front on seven minutes.

Eight minutes later Cobh skipper O’Connor shot home the First Division promotion-hopefuls’ second.

Man-of-the-match O’Connor got his second on 23 minutes with a crisp volley from just outside the area.

Rangers hit back with a fine goal from Patrick O’Brien on 41 minutes.

But Rob Lehane added Cobh's fourth goal on 67 minutes to seal their comfortable passage.

UCD also started brightly, with Ryan Swan shooting them in front after five minutes, as they beat Limerick non-league side Janesboro 3-1 at the UCD Bowl.

Though Marty Waters doubled UCD's lead on 26 minutes, Janesboro got themselves back into the game with a goal from Michael Ryan seven minutes before half-time.

Liam Scales clinched UCD's win on 78 minutes, getting the final touch to Daire O'Connor's cross to beat John Mulready in the Janesboro goal.