Sixteenth Galway senior title still a sweet one for Corofin as they crush Michael’s

Never any sign of an upset at Tuam Stadium as hot favourites crash home five goals

Corofin 5-12 St Michael’s 0-9

There was never any sign of an upset at Tuam Stadium yesterday as reigning champions Corofin eased their way to their 16th title.

St Michael's from Galway city, appearing in their first ever senior final, never gave up but they were unable to trouble a Corofin side that has now won the title 13 times in the past 24 years.

An early point from captain Eddie Hoare suggested St Michael’s might trouble the holders but Corofin’s response was lethal and by the 20th minute they were 2-7 to 0-1 ahead and out of sight.


Galway player Michael Lundy hit a telling blow when he found the net after just four minutes, and then captain Michael Farragher, who shortly after went off injured, drilled a low effort to the net after 13 minutes. All of the Corofin half back line of Ciaran McGrath, Alan Burke and Liam Silke scored by the 17th minute as they made good use of the diagonal wind.


Lundy said they were not troubled by being overwhelming pre-match favourites. “All year we have been overwhelming favourites in games, but that’s the bookies – they are setting us up for a fall more than anything,” he said.

St Michael's enjoyed their best spell after the interval, when they trailed 2-9 to 0-4, with Brian Madden, Eamon Brannigan and skipper Eddie Hoare finding their the range.

But Corofin took over again and just blew them away with a devastating finish which saw St Michael’s score just one point in the closing 17 minutes.

Gary Sice set up Lundy with a quick free for his second goal after 48 minutes.

And then in the closing Lundy was the creator for Sice to fist home from close range.

Substitute Joe Canney got their fifth goal in stoppage time as they eased their way to victory.

The champions will now turn their attentions to the Connacht championship.

COROFIN: T Healy; M Comer, K Fitzgerald, C Silke; L Silke (0-1), C McGrath (0-1), A Burke (0-1); D Burke, R Steede (0-1); G Sice (1-5, 0-3 frees), Michael Farragher (1-1), K Murphy; Martin Farragher, M Lundy (2-0), I Burke (0-1 free). Subs: J Canney (1-1) for Michael Farragher (16 mins), A Molloy for I Burke (BC 47 mins), G Higgins for D Burke (49 mins), A Lawless for C Silke (53 mins), C Cunningham for McGrath (54 mins), D Wall for Martin Farragher (57 mins).

ST MICHAEL'S: B Sheridan; K Clancy, D Cunnane, P Ruane; J Hanbury, J Downes, B Madden (0-1); F Daly, N Grogan (0-1); E O'Donnell, G Rogan, E Brannigan (0-1); K Ward (0-1), E Hoare (0-5, 0-2 frees), S Connaughton. Subs: D Connaughton for Hanbury (38 mins), T Curran for Grogan (45 mins), S Hoare for S Connaughton (53 mins), C Tummon for O'Donnell (56 mins), P McTigue for Brannigan (60 mins).

Referee: J Molloy (Salthill)