Conor McGregor says he has retired from MMA

Ex-UFC champion, recently arrested in Miami, earlier told TV host summer bout being planned

Former UFC featherweight and lightweight champion Conor McGregor has announced his retirement from the sport. Photograph: John Gurzinski/AFP/Getty Images.

Former UFC featherweight and lightweight champion Conor McGregor has announced his retirement from the sport. Photograph: John Gurzinski/AFP/Getty Images.

 

Former UFC featherweight and lightweight champion Conor McGregor has announced his retirement from the sport.

The Irishman, who finishes with 21-4 record, said on his Twitter account on Tuesday morning that he had decided to call it a day and wished his former colleagues well.

The 30-year-old returned to the octagon last October after a hiatus of nearly two years where he fought Khabib Nurmagomedov for the lightweight strap.

The Russian retained his UFC lightweight title when he beat McGregor with a fourth-round submission but the event was marred by a post-fight brawl which led to both fighters being fined and suspended.

McGregor posted Twitter: “Hey guys quick announcement, I’ve decided to retire from the sport formally known as ‘Mixed Martial Art’ today.

“I wish all my old colleagues well going forward in competition.

“I now join my former partners on this venture, already in retirement.

“Proper Pina Coladas on me fellas!”

Tweet:

McGregor quickly became one of UFC’s biggest stars, winning performance of the night three times in succession after defeating Diego Brandao, Dustin Poirier and Chad Mendes.

His next bout at UFC 194 saw him knockout Jose Aldo inside 13 seconds to take the featherweight title.

A loss to Nate Diaz at UFC 196 in his welterweight debut was his first in UFC and halted a 15-fight winning streak but the Irishman won a rematch five months later.

A win over Eddie Alvarez for the lightweight championship saw McGregor become the sport’s first dual-weight champion.

After the success at UFC 205, McGregor opted to take time away from MMA and it was during that hiatus that he took on Floyd Mayweather in his first professional boxing match.

‘The Money Fight’ was a lucrative affair — with more than a million pay per view buyers in the UK and four million in the United States, with the American defeating his opponent in the 10th round by TKO.

McGregor’s post on Tuesday morning is not the first time the Dublin-born fighter has spoken of calling it a day. In a 2016 post, he wrote: “I have decided to retire young. Thanks for the cheese. Catch ya’s later.”

Summer fight

He also said during an appearance on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon on Monday that he was in discussions to fight this summer.

“We’re in talks for July,” McGregor told Fallon in quotes reported by MMA Fighting. “So we’ll see what happens. A lot of politics going on. The fight game is a mad game. But again, like I said, and to my fans, I am in shape and I am ready.”

However, he admitted that he did not need to fight from a financial standpoint as he promoted his brand of whiskey.

“I’ve done a lot, I’ve fought a lot,” McGregor added. “I’ve never pulled out of contests. I’ve gone through some crazy injuries, some crazy external situations that many a man would sprint for the hills if it happened to them. “But I stood firm, (I’ve) done my piece for the company....Like I said, this whiskey is my baby. I have a lot of great entities. I don’t necessarily need to fight. “I am set for life, my family is set for life. We are good. But I am eager to fight. So, we will see what happens. I’m just staying ready, as I like to say.”

McGregor was arrested and charged with robbery in Miami earlier this month after allegedly stamping on a fan’s mobile phone. He was filmed in Brooklyn last April throwing a steel dolly through the window of a bus which had a number of UFC staff and fighters on board. A number of people were injured in the incident.

The fighter reached a plea agreement with the District Attorney. He originally faced a possible 12 criminal charges, including two counts of criminal mischief. His plea agreement included paying full restitution to the bus company for damages, completing five days of community service and attending an anger management programme. - PA

The Irish Times Logo
Commenting on The Irish Times has changed. To comment you must now be an Irish Times subscriber.
SUBSCRIBE
GO BACK
Error Image
The account details entered are not currently associated with an Irish Times subscription. Please subscribe to sign in to comment.
Comment Sign In

Forgot password?
The Irish Times Logo
Thank you
You should receive instructions for resetting your password. When you have reset your password, you can Sign In.
The Irish Times Logo
Please choose a screen name. This name will appear beside any comments you post. Your screen name should follow the standards set out in our community standards.
Screen Name Selection

Hello

Please choose a screen name. This name will appear beside any comments you post. Your screen name should follow the standards set out in our community standards.

The Irish Times Logo
Commenting on The Irish Times has changed. To comment you must now be an Irish Times subscriber.
SUBSCRIBE
Forgot Password
Please enter your email address so we can send you a link to reset your password.

Sign In

Your Comments
We reserve the right to remove any content at any time from this Community, including without limitation if it violates the Community Standards. We ask that you report content that you in good faith believe violates the above rules by clicking the Flag link next to the offending comment or by filling out this form. New comments are only accepted for 3 days from the date of publication.