The winners of the 9th annual Fit Out Awards were announced on Friday, December 18th. A live audience took part in the virtual ceremony which was hosted by the broadcaster and comedian Colm O'Regan. While the judging panel was chaired by industry leaders Ann Marie Aguilar and Angela Connolly.
As ever, the Awards was enthusiastically supported by many of the sector’s biggest hitters. Shaun Bonner, sales director at Etag Ireland, who returned once again as a sponsor, said, “Huge congratulations to all the finalists of the Fit Out Awards. Etag were delighted to sponsor the Awards once again.
“2020 was a difficult year however, so the event was an opportunity for the fit out community to come together and celebrate virtually. The event organisers carried out a stellar job ensuring the Awards still had the Fit Out Awards' unique atmosphere. A fantastic way to the end the year on a high!,” he said.
SAS also returned as a sponsor and Cathal McGuinness, director, said, “SAS were once again delighted to be a sponsor of the Fit Out Awards in what was a challenging year for the industry. SAS work very closely with the industry and, like most companies, have adapted the ways in which we work. Whilst people are currently working from home, employees will return and the demand for high quality spaces will be increasingly important for businesses.
“It was great to see how the finalists came together to tell their positive stories and to see the event adapt in the circumstances to deliver a safe and engaging event. Congratulations to all involved and a special well done to the winners.”
There were 19 individual winners in the 28 categories, with a handful of entrants winning a number of trophies. Henry J Lyons came away with no fewer than three awards, and Pat Hogan, director, said, "It was a privilege and pleasure to receive awards within the Conservation, Office and International categories on behalf of the entire team. The event was presented online this year, which was somewhat surreal and the event organisers deserve great credit for pulling it off without a hitch.
“On behalf of our management team, I'd like to thank all the HJL team members for their outstanding dedication and commitment to achieving the highest professional standards, and these awards are a testament to that success.” he said.
The mac-group were another multiple winner, also picking up three trophies, and Peter Browne, head of business development at mac-group, said, “Mac-group are intensely proud of the collective achievements of the dedicated teams of professionals responsible for bringing all of our award winning projects to life. These successes are the embodiment of genuine client and contractor collaboration.”
Shane Lyne won one of the individual awards, collecting the trophy for Project Manager of the Year for his work at Chadwicks Group. “It’s an honour to win this award, and be given the opportunity to work on such challenging yet rewarding projects with my colleagues at Chadwicks. I’d like to thank the entire team, along with my family for their continued support.” he said.
There were 57 shortlisted in the 28 categories, and Martin Spillane, director at MDO Architects, said, “It is a great pleasure to take part in the prestigious Fit Out Awards year after year, as the standard of entries continues to improve and is a testament to the creativity, hard work and dedication of the entire industry.”
This year’s judging panel was made up of the following:
- Ann Marie Aguilar, senior vice president, EMEA Region, WELL Faculty at the IWBI
- Angela Connolly, president, Interiors Association, founder, Conbu Interior Design
- Britt Berentzen, programme director, Interior Design & Interior Architecture, Griffith College
- Vanessa Brady OBE, president & founder, Society of British & International Design, UK
- Sue Corcoran, programme leader BA (Hons) in Interior Design, Limerick Institute of Technology
- Jean Feeney, head of Interiors, MCA Architects
- Rob Keane, managing director, Reddy Architecture + Urbanism
- Justin Kinsella, director, Harcourt Architects
- Róisín Lafferty, founder & creative director, Kingston Lafferty Design
- Peter Mance, director, MAAPS Design & Architecture, UK
- Barry McCabe, principal, McCabe Design Group
- Aidan McGovern, chartered engineer, Office of Public Works
- John Mitchell, owner, DMOD Architects
- Ann-Marie O'Neill, creative director, O'Donnell O'Neill Design
- Kay Sargent, director of WorkPlace, HOK, USA
- Keith Somers, head of design & product, Lioncor
- Emer Tubridy, design department head, Blackrock Further Education Institute
- Rowan Watson, lecturer, Architectural Design & Interior Architecture and Design, IT Sligo