Lamb yakitori with cubed leg of lamb
These quick and easy Japanese style skewers are packed full of flavour and make the perfect party food that can be cooked on a griddle or barbecue
- Serves: 4
- Cooking time: 8 minutes
- Course: Main
- Cuisine: Japanese
Marinated diced lamb:
- 200g leg of lamb cut into 16 cubes
- A few sprigs of basil, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon of mild paprika
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
Lamb meatball skewers:
- 200g of minced lamb
- 1 pinch of turmeric
- A few stems of coriander, chopped
Lamb skewers with cheese:
- 200g of fine slices of raw lamb (carpaccio)
- 8 sticks of Emmental style cheese, 6cm long and 1cm thick
- 4 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 8 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 8 tablespoons of rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds
- Salt and black pepper
Marinated lamb kebabs: mix the diced lamb, basil, garlic, lime juice, paprika, a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Stir and leave to rest while preparing the other kebabs.
Minced lamb kebabs: mix together the minced lamb, turmeric, coriander, salt and pepper. Roll into small balls and place on the 8 small skewers.
Lamb and cheese kebabs: place the cheese sticks on 8 small skewers then wrap in the finely sliced lamb.
Yakitori sauce: stir together all the ingredients for the sauce.
Drain the marinated diced lamb and place on the 8 small skewers.
Brush a little oil over all the lamb kebabs and cook under a hot grill for 2-3 minutes on each side. Then baste with the sauce and allow to brown gently.
Serve the kebabs hot, as a snack, with the rest of the sauce.
Tip: instead of making the sauce, you can buy a ready-made yakitori sauce.