North Korea says embassy raid in Spain was a ‘terrorist attack’

Country’s foreign ministry says it is looking into rumours of FBI involvement

A Spanish police car is seen outside North Korea’s embassy in Madrid. Photograph: Reuters

A Spanish police car is seen outside North Korea’s embassy in Madrid. Photograph: Reuters

 

A break-in at the North Korean embassy in Spain last month was “a grave terrorist attack”, a representative from North Korea’s foreign ministry said on Sunday in the North’s first official comment on the incident.

The foreign ministry representative also called for an investigation and said North Korea was closely watching rumours that the US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and an anti-North Korea group were behind the raid.

“An illegal intrusion into and occupation of a diplomatic mission and act of extortion are a grave breach of the state sovereignty and a flagrant violation of international law, and this kind of act should never be tolerated over the globe,” the North’s state-run KCNA news agency quoted the representative as saying. -- Reuters