White Line of Safety
The risk of accidents to foot passengers has been increased enormously by the steady growth of motor traffic in the streets of Dublin.
In order to safeguard the public the City Commissioners, with the approval of Gen W.R.E. Murphy, Deputy Commissioner of the Garda Siochana, therefore, have decided to introduce the white line on the centre of the footpaths in the leading thoroughfares. Its object is to induce foot passengers to walk on the left-hand, instead of on the right-hand side of the footway. The right-hand side mode of progress has been found unsuited to modern needs.
During last night experimental white lines were painted on the footways in O'Connell Street and Westmoreland Street, and the public are earnestly requested to assist the authorities and ensure their individual safety by adopting the new regulations.
The Irish Times,
October 19th, 1928