Boy (6) dies on grandfather’s farm in Armagh
It is believed boy was overcome by slurry fumes in milking parlour
The Police Service of Northern Ireland has confirmed the sudden death of a child on a farm.
It is believed the youngster was overcome by slurry fumes in the milking parlour at his grandfather’s farm in Co Armagh.
Ambulance personnel were called to the farm at the Ballynahonemore Road in Hamiltonsbawn shortly after 5pm yesterday, and the boy was taken to Craigavon Area Hospital.
The Police Service of Northern Ireland later confirmed the sudden death of a child. Officers and investigators from the Health and Safety Executive attended the scene last night and are continuing their investigations today.
The Lord Mayor of Armagh, Robert Turner, expressed his shock over the incident.
“This is another farm tragedy,” he said.
“The entire area is in state of shock that a six-year-old boy has lost his life.
“I know his family and I wish to pass on my sincere condolences.”
Armagh district councillor Jim Speers said the incident was an “absolute tragedy”.
“I know the family well, I know the parents and grandparents on both sides. It’s just so sad,” he said.
“What can you say? It’s such a tragedy for any family to experience.”
Ulster Unionist agriculture spokeswoman Jo-Anne Dobson MLA said she had been deeply saddened by the death.
She said: “Incidents such as this stand as a stark reminder of just how dangerous farming can be.This is a busier than usual time of year on our farms and as the activity rises, so too do the risks.
“For children farms can be full of adventure and fun. However, we must always be mindful of the risks, especially as the hot weather is forecast to return in the coming days.”
Harry Sinclair, president of the Ulster Farmers’ Union, said the entire farming community was in a state of shock.
He said: “Our thoughts go to that family and the whole agriculture community will be thinking of that family.”
Last year, 12 people were killed as a result of farm-related accidents in Northern Ireland.
They included three members of the Spence family, who died in a slurry tank accident in September.