Tom Humphries last wrote for The Irish Times in 2011

Disclosure of serious allegations and criminal investigation source of ‘shock and distress’ to colleagues

Former Irish Times sports journalist Tom Humphries arriving at the Dublin Circuit Criminal Court on Tuesday. Photograph: Brian Lawless/PA Wire

Former Irish Times sports journalist Tom Humphries arriving at the Dublin Circuit Criminal Court on Tuesday. Photograph: Brian Lawless/PA Wire

 

Tom Humphries has not written for The Irish Times since early 2011, the company said.

In a statement, it said that he joined The Irish Times as a sports reporter on March 1st, 1992.

In March 2011, the company was advised of serious allegations against the journalist and the commencement of a criminal investigation by the Garda. He has not written for The Irish Times since then.

He was suspended from employment by The Irish Times on March 31st, 2014 when he was formally charged with criminal offences.

His employment was terminated with immediate effect on March 8th, 2017 after he had pleaded guilty to charges at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.

The company said the disclosure that Humphries was the subject of serious allegations and of a criminal investigation was a source of shock and distress to his colleagues.

It added: “This matter has been treated with the utmost seriousness throughout. The Irish Times, in its response, has been guided by the provisions of employment legislation and the requirement to allow the criminal justice system to proceed without interference. The company fully co-operated with the Garda at all times during its investigations.”