A 42-year-old man has been remanded in custody after he was charged with the murder of a father of one who was found with multiple injuries in a house in West Cork almost five years ago.
Andrew Nash, of Parnell Street, Thurles, Co Tipperary was arrested at his home on Monday morning. and charged .
Mr Nash was brought to Bandon Garda Station where he was charged with the murder of Jonathan Ustic (51).
He appeared before a special sitting of Bandon District Court on Monday evening.
He was charged with the murder of the English man at a date unknown between September 24th and September 25th, 2017 at a house at High Street, Skibbereen, Co Cork, contrary to Common Law.
Det Sgt Kevin Long, who gave evidence of arrest charge and caution, told the special court sitting that Mr Nash made no reply to the murder charge when it was put to him after caution at 11.32am.
Sgt Paul Kelly said that the DPP had directed trial by indictment at the Central Criminal Court and he applied for a remand in custody to appear again at Bandon District Court on Thursday.
Judge Colm Roberts noted that he did have any jurisdiction to grant bail to the accused on a murder charge and he remanded Mr Nash in custody to appear again at Bandon District Court on April 7th.
Defence barrister Peter O’Flynn BL said his client would be applying for bail at the High Court at a later date. H e also applied for legal aid, given that his client was currently unemployed.
Judge Roberts granted Mr Nash free legal aid and assigned solicitor Ray Hennessy to represent him while he also granted him free legal aid for a senior counsel given the serious nature of the charge.
A native of Cornwall, Mr Ustic had been living in the rented house on High Street in Skibbereen with his partner for several months prior to his death.
He had previously lived in Bantry and Drimoleague in West Cork and had also lived in Co Tipperary for a period after moving to Ireland from the UK in 2005.