Gardaí release man arrested during terrorism raids

Moroccan man released without charge while Algerian national remains in custody

The two were picked up in the Dublin area by members of the Counter Terrorism International Unit. Photograph: PA

The two were picked up in the Dublin area by members of the Counter Terrorism International Unit. Photograph: PA

 

A Moroccan man who was arrested under anti-terrorism laws on Monday has been released without charge, gardaí have confirmed.

The man aged in his 40s was held for a number of hours at Blackrock Garda Station under the Terrorist Offences Act, which includes offences of public provocation to commit a terrorist offence, recruitment for terrorism and training for terrorism.

Gardaí said on Tuesday that the man had been released without charge and a file is being prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions.

Another man, an Algerian national in his 30s, remained in custody on Tuesday morning as gardaí continue to question him over links to terrorist activity.

It is not yet known when the second man will be released.

Ireland’s terrorism laws allow for sentences of up to 10 years in prison on conviction.

The two were detained in the Dublin area by members of the Counter Terrorism International Unit.

Gardaí said a number of searches were also carried out in Swords, Stepaside, South Circular Road and Trim alongside Monday’s arrests.